Light selection sanity check

Armt350

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon Reefers!

I'm setting up a new tank and need a sanity check on a lighting setup. On my previous tank I had 4 Maxspect Mazzara P series, as much as I really liked those, they are far out of life and I cannot find anymore replacement parts for them. So The new tank is going to be 48"(120cm) wide, 24"(60cm) deep 24" tall. It will be a mixed reef tank with both SPS and LPS and an anemone(rose bubble tip or haddons carpet). The tank is viewable from both the front and rear but not the sides.

So since I need new lighting, Here is what I was thinking. 2x 39" (99.3cm) AI blade coral grows on the forward and rear side of the tank and 3x Radion XR15 pros's down the middle. The alternative would be 4x radion XR15'S or 2 XR 30'S .

What are your thoughts and am I missing anything? Any suggestions out of whats listed must have dawn/dusk/moonlight capability. Weather replication would be a plus but not required. Thanks!

Last edited:

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're going Blade anyway, why not just 3 Grows and 2 Glows? Should be plenty of light for what you want to do.

OP
OP
Armt350

Armt350

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're going Blade anyway, why not just 3 Grows and 2 Glows? Should be plenty of light for what you want to do.
I tossed around the idea, but was feeling like there was not enough white light LED's and missing the warm white and red. Yes I know the red does next to nothing for growth, its purely an aesthetic that I like. I almost feel like I would want 6x blades, 2x grow, 2x glow, 2x freshwater. But that's pretty wasteful.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back