• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello friends, I made a poll previously to see what reef variable folks want to see analyzed between 2 otherwise identical systems: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/what-do-you-want-to-see.1041381/

The winner was Lighting! So please, use the poll to select which 2 brands you want to see face off (choose 2, and if you choose “other” please comment with your idea). I will select fixtures that are as close as possible in power once the brands are decided.

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think all the led lighting is over prices were in a new age were its not new tech anymore no matter what you do to it .

Dmmz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel that no matter what I choose for lighting it will be wrong so I will add this to my research and then hope what I get works out

OP
OP
TX_REEF

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll be using rather small cubes as a platform, so I don’t think the bar design will be ideal.
IMG_5169.png

kindafun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll be using rather small cubes as a platform, so I don’t think the bar design will be ideal.
Gotcha, understood.

I added some Quanta Pros to my display and a frag tank, they are both 48 inches, and I like what they added. Made me think that doing it over again I would just go with bars.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should probably lay out your testing methodology, setup, and goals. If you are just going to string up a light over a cube and do tests don't bother. This has already been done two different ways to Tuesday.

On the other hand if you are hanging kits, controlled environment, prevent light spill, same setup, corals, with the only difference being the light to measure growth that is different. Even then you are talking about a 6 month to a year project if you want any meaningful results.

Not trying to poo poo your endeavor but there are plenty of PAR tests out there with nothing new or earth shattering in results.

OP
OP
TX_REEF

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should probably lay out your testing methodology, setup, and goals. If you are just going to string up a light over a cube and do tests don't bother. This has already been done two different ways to Tuesday.

On the other hand if you are hanging kits, controlled environment, prevent light spill, same setup, corals, with the only difference being the light to measure growth that is different. Even then you are talking about a 6 month to a year project if you want any meaningful results.

Not trying to poo poo your endeavor but there are plenty of PAR tests out there with nothing new or earth shattering in results.
I am doing a controlled project - check my original post that I linked in the first post of this thread.

OP
OP
TX_REEF

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
right now, Ecotech and Kessil are leading the charge. Bumping the thread to make sure I get as many opinions as possible for a head-to-head comparison on coral growth and coloration. I'd love to get Reefi in the mix, but will follow the results as promised!

OP
OP
TX_REEF

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefbrite XHO actinic paired with Kessil a360x tuna blues
I appreciate the suggestion, but I’m looking to do a comparison on individual fixtures and record/document the results over a span of time

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say Reefi and Radeon lets see that bang for the buck in action!
Like tanks. Like corals? Are you planning on multiple types of corals? What will be the deciding factor? growth?

OP
OP
TX_REEF

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say Reefi and Radeon lets see that bang for the buck in action!
Like tanks. Like corals? Are you planning on multiple types of corals? What will be the deciding factor? growth?
I'll lay out my full criteria when I start the build thread with the tanks side by side, but I'm going to be measuring both growth and coloration (obviously coloration can be subjective) of a small variety of different coral frags. To start, thinking GSP, zoas, birdsnest, candycanes, microsmussa. Each tank will be stocked and maintained as identically as reasonably possible. Actually just placed the order for 2 Reefcasa 18 gallon cubes this weekend!

OP
OP
TX_REEF

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefi and Radion in the lead now. Sheesh, those radions are expensive! I think I'll finalize the results this Wednesday, 3/20 - get your votes in :cool:

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 73 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 55 26.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 65 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.8%
Back