Lighting: If Coral needs "X" PAR - Lighting Interval, Keep it at "X" PAR for Entire Photoperiod?

Pepper Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
Thank you for your advice on this topic

I am wondering about the ideal PAR / photoperiod / interval while setting up my lights
I know that each coral is very different with its lighting requirements - but in general:

Is it best to keep the same PAR on a coral for the entire photoperiod?
eg. A coral that thrives in 150 PAR - should you keep that coral location at 150 PAR for the entire photoperiod?
Or is it best to keep it at 150 PAR for ~4 hours, and then lower, closer to 100 for the remaining 8 hour period?
(or does it really just depend on the coral?)

I am trying to follow the WWC spectrum found here for 75g
Which is 4 hours with:
100% UV, Violet, Royal, Blue
10% green
5% red
10% warm white
15% cool white
and then 8 hours with:

Should I be trying to match the PAR of the first 4 hours with the PAR of the remaining 8 hours?
Thank you very much for your help!

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
Thank you for your advice on this topic

I am wondering about the ideal PAR / photoperiod / interval while setting up my lights
I know that each coral is very different with its lighting requirements - but in general:

Is it best to keep the same PAR on a coral for the entire photoperiod?
eg. A coral that thrives in 150 PAR - should you keep that coral location at 150 PAR for the entire photoperiod?
Or is it best to keep it at 150 PAR for ~4 hours, and then lower, closer to 100 for the remaining 8 hour period?
(or does it really just depend on the coral?)

I am trying to follow the WWC spectrum found here for 75g
Which is 4 hours with:
10% green
5% red
10% warm white
15% cool white
and then 8 hours with:

Should I be trying to match the PAR of the first 4 hours with the PAR of the remaining 8 hours?
Thank you very much for your help!
I like to blast em with light for 12 hours ;)!!!!!

Upvote 0

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the PAR the same during that 12 hour period without any variance would you say?

I suppose that for decades people were using bulbs that were not dimmable, just on off!
I do an hour up and down and 8 hours of t5 with pretty heavy par, but yeah your right used to be on, off. Best to work your way up or use a tried and true schedule like that wwc you were looking at . The corals will kinda tell you what's going on and in the first few months adjust times and intensities from there.

Upvote 0

kdogginz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you havent yet looked into DLI, I would suggest doing so. DLI is Daily Light Integral, It is the amount of photons on an area over the span of a day. You can get the same DLI from lower par/more time as you can with higher par/less time.

Here is a cool video on DLI with CoralLab: Beyond PAR - Ecotech Marine CoralLab DLI with ReefWholesale

I personally run 12hr schedules with 2hr ramp up, 6hr peak w/white, 2hr peak heavy blue, 2hr ramp down. The white peak has slightly higher par than the blue peak, so it is about 8 hours of peak par, just different spectrums.

Upvote 0

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 14 66.7%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 4.8%
Back