Limpets and Coralline Algae

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a tank that's about 2 and I don't have any coralline algae, despite seeing good growth and healthy coral. At first I thought it was because I had a bunch of urchins but they were rehomed due to a lack of food and in the year they've been gone I still have none. I noticed patches that pop up from time to time (mostly on powerheads) but then it disappears shortly after. I never see any on rocks. I have a 500g tank with tens of thousands of limpets. Now I don't mind their presence (I think they look cool actually) and they do a bangup job on my algae but I'm beginning to think they are eating all my Coralline. Does anyone know if this is in their diet??

OP
OP
pandaparties

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago, I had some of the big ones from Hawaii and they were superb cleaners and never ate coralline that I noticed. Mostly they stayed on the glass and reproduced prolifically. Fast forward to this tank and I have introduced some of the tiny ones that reefcleaners sells but never saw them again after introduction. Never seen the big ones available again either.

OP
OP
pandaparties

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago, I had some of the big ones from Hawaii and they were superb cleaners and never ate coralline that I noticed. Mostly they stayed on the glass and reproduced prolifically. Fast forward to this tank and I have introduced some of the tiny ones that reefcleaners sells but never saw them again after introduction. Never seen the big ones available again either.
Mine were 100% eating my coralline. I was having it only in spots that they never went, on the rocks it would show up and be gone the next day. After introducing a fish that snacked on them i started having it grow all over my rocks. I used to have tens of thousands of them!

Marcs_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine were 100% eating my coralline. I was having it only in spots that they never went, on the rocks it would show up and be gone the next day. After introducing a fish that snacked on them i started having it grow all over my rocks. I used to have tens of thousands of them!

Can you tell me what fish this was?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 43 32.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 26 19.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back