Lincking You To A Beautiful Red Star

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Nutramar Foods

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of all the colors to get into your aquarium, red is one of the hardest. There are few corals, and not that many fish that are dominantly red, the ones that are often huge, or hard to keep, or expensive. There is however, the Red Linckia Sea Star. They range in color from a deep royal red to a solidly mid-century orange, and even Crayola's famous burnt sienna. They add intrigue to the aquarium and are also valuable as members of your cleanup crew.

As they are omnivore grazers, it will help to have an aquarium that is bigger than 55 gallons, with lots of rockwork for algae to grow on, and little crevices for micro-critters to hide in. The more mature this aquarium is, the more food will already be available for your star. That being said, if you fail to get your Red Linckia supplemental food, it will die sooner than expected. They will eat just about anything, but it needs to be small enough for them to consume easily. Place morsels next to their legs and the star will usually take care of the rest. They can be fed Gamma mysis, krill, bloodworms, tubifex etc. They should also have access to algae-based foods, especially if the tank housing them doesn't have much algae in it for them to graze on. You can do this with algae wafers and Nutramar's Algae and Color Boost Shots, just stick it in their path, and they'll consumer as much of it as they need. Click to learn more

1590306.jpg

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of all the colors to get into your aquarium, red is one of the hardest. There are few corals, and not that many fish that are dominantly red, the ones that are often huge, or hard to keep, or expensive. There is however, the Red Linckia Sea Star. They range in color from a deep royal red to a solidly mid-century orange, and even Crayola's famous burnt sienna. They add intrigue to the aquarium and are also valuable as members of your cleanup crew.

As they are omnivore grazers, it will help to have an aquarium that is bigger than 55 gallons, with lots of rockwork for algae to grow on, and little crevices for micro-critters to hide in. The more mature this aquarium is, the more food will already be available for your star. That being said, if you fail to get your Red Linckia supplemental food, it will die sooner than expected. They will eat just about anything, but it needs to be small enough for them to consume easily. Place morsels next to their legs and the star will usually take care of the rest. They can be fed Gamma mysis, krill, bloodworms, tubifex etc. They should also have access to algae-based foods, especially if the tank housing them doesn't have much algae in it for them to graze on. You can do this with algae wafers and Nutramar's Algae and Color Boost Shots, just stick it in their path, and they'll consumer as much of it as they need. Click to learn more

1590306.jpg
Hey, since you guys are sponsors shouldn't you be actually promoting the wellbeing of these animals instead of just trying to make money from selling a starfish you don't even know the species name of? I thought surely the link would give detailed information but it's worse than the ad here. You gave very specific information and said it's far easier than Linckia laevigata (those are called blue Linckias), yet you don't know the species of what you're pushing to sell and have no citations to support your claims. What if I told you that this is the same species but a different phenotypic variation? That's very plausible. Please don't promote keeping a species of any creature you don't even know the scientific name of.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if that sounded harsh. It's just frustrating after learning so much about something (especially a living creature) and then see someone just say whatever is needed to make a sale. Ask me to write about it and I promise it will be accurate. If I don't feel it's accurate I would never write it because I don't want to mislead people.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 101 44.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 77 33.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 37 16.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%

Back