List of potential “airborne” dangers (to humans) from reef tanks?

OP
OP
O

onlyreefers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did they ever test you for allergies? I’d see an allergist. Our bodies are very weird. And I learned quickly there isn’t always an answer and there are some very weird diseases and allergies not typical or common. Like people can be allergic to water.
I plan on it, they local one needs a referral. I had a prick test done last fall, with an ENT, but they only do basic outdoor stuff.

OP
OP
O

onlyreefers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on it. Curious to see what they can test for.
They can do skin testing or blood. The blood testing tests for antibodies instead of a reaction. Usually they test for the most common allergens.
Have you tried taking an antihistamine before going in the room to see if it lessens your symptoms?

OP
OP
O

onlyreefers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can do skin testing or blood. The blood testing tests for antibodies instead of a reaction. Usually they test for the most common allergens.
Have you tried taking an antihistamine before going in the room to see if it lessens your symptoms?

Not yet. I did tank a benedryl when my face was on fire and it did practically nothing, maybe it didn’t kick in by the time I went to sleep (about a hour)

OP
OP
O

onlyreefers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm following this, this is an interesting discussion
I’ll be sure to do a follow up on if I find a root cause. Health wise, I had some blood drawn this morning to check thyroid levels, in case it’s a temperature regulation issue, my electrolytes and others. I’ll start eliminating factors to see.

I think I’m going to move the tank in the garage office (going to suck, but it has a run off air supply and I don’t think there is enough ppms in the air to pull through a return and back into the house from 50ft away) let the wife manage the tank for a week, and see if I still have issue in the living room.

OP
OP
O

onlyreefers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shellfish allergy? If mold spores you’d typically get a headache during exposure then subside when you are away from the area.
Yea, no mold in the house or near the tank, it’s fresh (about 4 weeks running). I even changed multiple tissue papers to see if it was a contact issue from that after blowing my nose. Hylaronic acid and other rehydrating skin treatment to see if it was a skin barrier/light exposure issue.

No typical shellfish allergy. I can’t eat really eat crab, shrimp or lobster. Seems to make me vomit, but that’s stomach wise not anaphylaxis, hives, etc.

Healthwise it could just be a cortisol spike, histamine reaction, MCAS or some other autoimmune, but this is spike or absurdly timed when near the tank and room.

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, no mold in the house or near the tank, it’s fresh (about 4 weeks running). I even changed multiple tissue papers to see if it was a contact issue from that after blowing my nose. Hylaronic acid and other rehydrating skin treatment to see if it was a skin barrier/light exposure issue.

No typical shellfish allergy. I can’t eat really eat crab, shrimp or lobster. Seems to make me vomit, but that’s stomach wise not anaphylaxis, hives, etc.

Healthwise it could just be a cortisol spike, histamine reaction, MCAS or some other autoimmune, but this is spike or absurdly timed when near the tank and room.
What are the phosphate levels? You could have a phosphate allergy? Something to rule out and narrow down. My hands and arms get dry and itchy from tank contact. But it’s also winter and I do not use lotions so it increases this time of year.

OP
OP
O

onlyreefers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take the salt water put it on skin for 5 min . If it's red you have contact dermatitis allergy. Easy enough
What are the phosphate levels? You could have a phosphate allergy? Something to rule out and narrow down. My hands and arms get dry and itchy from tank contact. But it’s also winter and I do not use lotions so it increases this time of year.
Yea I was looking into this. Was going to do a skin contact test, but having the issue burn my face doesn’t seem to correlate to a skin rash reaction, but bodies are weird. Phosphate is on my checklist, I just ordered a test.. not sure if abundant phosphates could somehow turn into like a phosphorus gas.. at least to the point of a body reaction.. next on my list though!

OP
OP
O

onlyreefers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have friends that have bloodworm and brine shrimp allergies. Can you touch the brine shrimp with out issue?
Yea but I only touch the cubes for a microsecond if at all to put the cube in a cup to melt. They obviously decompose in the tank, but yea, I’ll test out some direct contact and see what happens

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely figure this out asap. You don't want repeated exposure if it's an allergic reaction.

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silly question but I guess not too silly, but is there dinoflagellates in your system that perhaps would be a contributor? Like ostreopsis maybe.
The skimmer doesn’t get everything in the water column and they are pretty toxic little buggers.
Totally not sure if it would make its way into the air though……

OP
OP
O

onlyreefers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silly question but I guess not too silly, but is there dinoflagellates in your system that perhaps would be a contributor? Like ostreopsis maybe.
The skimmer doesn’t get everything in the water column and they are pretty toxic little buggers.
Totally not sure if it would make its way into the air though……
I have some diatoms (possibly dinos, sort of difficult for me to tell, no films, just orange spots) and earliest forms of hair algae. But same, not sure how it could become an air exposure.

robanister

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when your skin returns to normal, try using one of those N95 painter masks and go near the tank. see if it's particulates you may be inhaling.
How is that going to stop his face burning. I think it's psychosomatic at this point. See a therapist. Any tank deaths or reasons you hate your tank...

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 62 32.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 50 26.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 40 20.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 19.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back