"List" of Zoanthids that have/don't have palytoxins...?

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The corals in your photo are Zoanthus vietnamensis.
I had to dig a bit but this is why I always figured they are palys…
1712197931670.jpeg

1712198020862.jpeg

When I got them they were misidentified/ mislabeled. I guess the old method, small is Zoa, large is Paly…

Learn something new all the time.
I am eyeing the book you mentioned “Indo pacific corals”… but the $$$ is steep….

Regardless very educational discussion on zoa vs paly…

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Indo-Pacific Zoanthus morphospecies are pretty well-defined. Z. sansibaricus has small polyps......You can also refer to iNat OBs to get a feel for these species.
Thank you for the response. You can recite from memory or your book or a website, all of the visible characteristics that you wish. Doing so does not change the fact that identification is ambiguous at best in person and meaningless from a photo where even coloration can't be verifiably determined (if coloration was even a deciding factor). Again, this is due to the fact that there are biological variations and a rather complex lineage that ties all of these animals together and creates a high degree of visual ambiguity.

Do you have a source for Zoanthus species being totally unable to be told apart without genetic data?
Almost any actual scientific study on the animals will get you headed in the right direction. There are literally dozens of sources, many behind paywalls or in offline journals and books but a few should be freely available.

Example Source:
Symbiodiniaceae diversity and characterization of palytoxin in various zoantharians (Anthozoa, Hexacorallia)
Ludovic Sawelew, et al.

1712199219761.png

Please note the last line (though the entire passage is relevant):
It is therefore almost impossible to tell species
pairs apart without collection location and genetic data.

I suggest reading any of the work by Reimer (noted above).
Furthermore, if you read these studies for context (not cherry picking what you want to hear), the recurring theme is that identification without genetic testing is nearly impossible and the mechanism for the production of palytoxin is not fully understood. Some lineages have the building blocks, but don't produce it, while others do. The new understanding is that lineage of these animals is much more complex than previously thought.

. study did not have study large number of specimens, one would still expect some Zoanthus in the study to turn up with palytoxin if Zoanthus did contain a significant amount of it,
The sample size was minuscule and therefore can't logically be extrapolated to entire order. Many of you are myopically hanging your hat on it as the law of the land without digging any deeper. I assume confirmation bias has something to do with this.

I have not said anything about Palythoa, because it is true that there are some cryptic Palythoa species that contain palytoxin.
Now only "cryptic" palythoa? Sorry, but I think you are digging a deeper hole.

well-defined.
You keep repeating "Well defined" but it has been established that physical features alone do not define these animals. So back to square one, you are making an educated guess by using a photograph to identify them. That is fine in the context of hobby names and general conversation, but it is meaningless when it comes to differentiation with regard to biology and specifically toxicity.

The bottom line:
I have attempted to make a very simple point several times.

1 - It is a fact that Palytoxin is extremely dangerous.
2 - It is fact that many of the animals in this order contain the toxin.
3 - It is fact that positive identification of animals that contain the toxin is not easy (if at all possible) for members of this hobby.
4 - There are numerous reported severe incidents related to palytoxin in this hobby.

The sane advice for anybody working with these animals would be to take appropriate measures to protect themselves.

In that context and given the facts and science available, I find it wholly irresponsible that anybody exposed to those facts would continue to downplay the need for safety or advise people that certain specimens were "safer" than others.

Last edited:

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas are my favorites - because I'm a color lover maybe. I was digging around a found an article that is really interesting I thought I'd share.

Identifying Zoanthids - Central Florida Aquarium Society
The key takeaway (Reimer, as mentioned above) is that the for distributed siblings are almost indistinguishable but still differ and often carry different Symbiodinium and as such may or may not have or produce palytoxin.

The point of the article is that from a hobby perspective (color) we can somewhat ignore collection area and genetics and boil these down to small similar groups and give them fun names. Thus "identification" at a broad level, not. scientific level. That (again) is fine for trading, but not useful for toxicity.

Have fun...

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to dig a bit but this is why I always figured they are palys…
1712197931670.jpeg

1712198020862.jpeg

When I got them they were misidentified/ mislabeled. I guess the old method, small is Zoa, large is Paly…

Learn something new all the time.
I am eyeing the book you mentioned “Indo pacific corals”… but the $$$ is steep….

Regardless very educational discussion on zoa vs paly…
I can send you a PDF if you want. Joe sent it to me himself.

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1712199219761.png

Please note the last line (though the entire passage is relevant):

I suggest reading any of the work by Reimer (noted above).
Furthermore, if you read these studies for context (not cherry picking what you want to hear), the recurring theme is that identification without genetic testing is nearly impossible and the mechanism for the production of palytoxin is not fully understood. Some lineages have the building blocks, but don't produce it, while others do. The new understanding is that lineage of these animals is much more complex than previously thought.
That is only talking about the Atlantic/Indo-Pacific species pairs, which I acknowledged in my last reply: you can tell them apart by collection locality. Of course, collection locality is usually not provided for captive species, which is why I (should have) put "cf" in my Zoanthus identifications
Now do you have any evidence that shows that two morphologically different species, such as Z. sansibaricus and Z. vietnamensis, or Z. kuroshio and Z. gigantus, are intermixed? Not just someone mentionng it, but maybe a phylogenetic tree from a study showing the polyphyly of these species?

The sample size was minuscule and therefore can't logically be extrapolated to entire order. Many of you are myopically hanging your hat on it as the law of the land without digging any deeper. I assume confirmation bias has something to do with this.
I see. Now do you have any evidence as to Zoanthus containing palytoxin? Maybe like a study that finds toxic amounts of palytoxin in Zoanthus species? All this time you have been saying "we have not enough evidence" or "the study does not have enough samples."

Now only "cryptic" palythoa? Sorry, but I think you are digging a deeper hole.
I did not say "only" cryptic Palythoa species. And I asked a coral taxonomist/biologist about this; he said that the Palythoa species are relatively easy to identify, and that the Zoanthus species are irrelevant.

You keep repeating "Well defined" but it has been established that physical features alone do not define these animals. So back to square one, you are making an educated guess by using a photograph to identify them. That is fine in the context of hobby names and general conversation, but it is meaningless when it comes to differentiation with regard to biology and specifically toxicity.
By "well-defined," I mean the morphospecies are distinct from each other, which they are. About the "educated guess" thing--that is what EVERYBODY is doing when they identify corals morphologically.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is only talking about the Atlantic/Indo-Pacific species pairs, which I acknowledged in my last reply: you can tell them apart by collection locality. Of course, collection locality is usually not provided for captive species, which is why I (should have) put "cf" in my Zoanthus identifications
You can't keep splitting hairs here and be somehow be correct. This is getting further and further from the point.

Your argument:
1712351283219.png

The body of science date does not support that.

Now do you have any evidence as to Zoanthus containing palytoxin? Maybe like a study that finds toxic amounts of palytoxin in Zoanthus species?

1712347622203.png

The specimen in question was genetically confirmed to be Parazoanthus sp. and clocked in at near 3mg/g of palytoxin... that is insanely high. Exposure was in an aquarium and the patient experience severe symptoms, lucky to be alive as it were.

Check your phylogenetic tree showing where Parazoanthus sits in relation to your "safe" Z. vietnamensis or the toxic paly's that sit in proximity.

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't keep splitting hairs here and be somehow be correct. This is getting further and further from the point.

Your argument:
1712351283219.png

The body of science date does not support that.

1712347622203.png

The specimen in question was genetically confirmed to be Parazoanthus sp. and clocked in at near 3mg/g of palytoxin... that is insanely high. Exposure was in an aquarium and the patient experience severe symptoms, lucky to be alive as it were.

Check your phylogenetic tree showing where Parazoanthus sits in relation to your "safe" Z. vietnamensis or the toxic paly's that sit in proximity.
Sorry, I should have worded it better. I meant between the two Zoantharian genera commonly found in the hobby, Palythoa is the only genus that contains toxic levels of palytoxin; Zoanthus does not have Palytoxin.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I should have worded it better. I meant between the two Zoantharian genera commonly found in the hobby, Palythoa is the only genus that contains toxic levels of palytoxin; Zoanthus does not have Palytoxin.
Still no.
There are various Zoanthus species that have found to have varying levels of palytoxin, but only a tiny fraction of those found in nature have been tested. You simply cannot say that Zoanthus does not contain palytoxin, nor can you visually determine which do and which don't.

This conversation has run its course. Your opinion (it is opinion) contradicts the known science.

Last edited:

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the studies that I have read indicate that last common ancestor has a lot to do with toxicity, but because so many of these corals are so similar, identification of actual lineage without DNA is virtually impossible.
This might not necessarily be true— there are a lot of factors that can contribute to toxicity, such as coral diet (which could be synthesized into a toxin), environmental conditions, presence of predators. This could lead two distantly related palythoas to adopt similar levels of toxicity. Similar to how the development of tetrodotoxin in pufferfish is seemingly unrelated to their lineages, and some species in a group may express greater toxicity than others in that same group (outlined in many research papers such as the one by Zhu et al.) While I’m not an expert in the phylogeny of zoanthid toxicity, I’d have to imagine it would follow a rather similar pattern.

As far as being able to identify which ones are highly toxic and which ones are not, to my understanding there is no surefire way of knowing excatly which ones are or aren’t toxic. I know that captive grown zoa morphs tend to be less toxic over many generations, but even this may not be 100% true. Best practice is to treat all zoa strains as potentially toxic and exercise caution when fragging or handling them.

When it comes to the aforementioned tank crashes due to zoanthids, it seems that this is anecdotal at best. While I’m certain they could pose a threat, there doesn’t seem to be consistent descriptions or experiences to solidify the potential danger as fact. Often when palys are ticked off, it occurs around the same time that other corals become ticked off. This is mere correlation, and both groups of corals could be reacting to the same conditions that make them stressed. There is no clear evidence that the stress of the palys is a direct cause of the stress of other corals. Perhaps it is true, but we can’t say it is 100% true without repeated and isolated experiments that examine the issue from start to finish.

Last edited:

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any evidence for Zoanthus containing Palytoxin?

Deeds, et al. 2011
1712850054115.png

Some of the the samples tested in THIS study showed palytoxin. There are others.

You are now going to split hairs and try to compare "weakly toxic" to "highly toxic" but will be again missing the point. If you read the research, these are interspersed side by side with siblings that contain high levels and those that contain none. They have only tested a tiny fraction of the known species.

You, at every juncture of this conversation appear to have ignored the facts in favor of your opinion.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might not necessarily be true— there are a lot of factors that can contribute to toxicity, such as coral diet (which could be synthesized into a toxin), environmental conditions, presence of predators. This could lead two distantly related palythoas to adopt similar levels of toxicity. Similar to how the development of tetrodotoxin in pufferfish is seemingly unrelated to their lineages, and some species in a group may express greater toxicity than others in that same group (outlined in many research papers such as the one by Zhu et al.) While I’m not an expert in the phylogeny of zoanthid toxicity, I’d have to imagine it would follow a rather similar pattern.
I simply paraphrased what I have read in the studies that I have looked at.

As far as being able to identify which ones are highly toxic and which ones are not, to my understanding there is no surefire way of knowing excatly which ones are or aren’t toxic... Best practice is to treat all zoa strains as potentially toxic and exercise caution when fragging or handling them.
Those are the very points being made, that so many here balk at.

When it comes to the aforementioned tank crashes due to zoanthids, it seems that this is anecdotal at best. While I’m certain they could pose a threat, there doesn’t seem to be consistent descriptions or experiences to solidify the potential danger as fact. Often when palys are ticked off, it occurs around the same time that other corals become ticked off.
I think if you look into some of these reports, you will find that the event directly correlates to manipulation of the zoa/paly. Anything is anecdotal unless it is proven in a controlled environment. The point is/was that there are numerous human illness incidents that have been documented and some of those coincide with tank deaths as well. The overarching point is that made numerous times here... treat them all as if they are toxic. That's all.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I myself have gotten "paly eye" 3x over last few decades fragging zoas,not palys , from both Indo and Vietnam
must treat all as "toxic" not fun...

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can no more positively identify zoantharians by a photo than you can identify the country of birth of a person by a photo or what disease they genetically carry. You can make semi-educated guesses based on some features, but can't be sure.

Research over the last 30 years has clearly shown that there are a large number of ancestral similarities between Zoanthus and Palythoa and that many of the species spread throughout the Indo-Pacific and Atlantic are siblings that are impossible to differentiate without genetic data, but can/do greatly differ in toxicity. To that end, a very tiny fraction of specimens have been studied for the presence of palytoxin. And (again) YOU can't tell by a photo if a particular specimen has it or does not.

You are claiming (repeatedly) to know more than the very scientists that study these animals, and offering misguided safety advice based on your self appointed expertise and a picture book under your arm.

I honestly think you mean well and are clearly impassioned by these animals, but given what we do know and what we have been told that we don't yet know (by science) your advice is demonstrably irresponsible and gives credence to the age old saying that a little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing. That fact is evidenced by the number of members parroting your views.

I think at this point we have come full circle.
You are correct in a literal sense—technically, no species can be identified fully without DNA evidence. However, species identification exists with the purpose of individuals being able to identify things visually. @encrustingacro has correctly identified a species based on the observations and experiments of scientists. If every time we stumbled upon an animal and tested its DNA to confirm in was indeed a particular species, biological science would be a lot slower than it currently is. You also seem to be confusing the term species with the term morph. There are hundreds of zoanthid breeds which have all sorts of crazy names, but they all fall under an umbrella species name. Similar to identifying dog breeds, the only way of knowing exactly what it is would be through DNA testing. However, Z. vietnamensis is a distinct species, not a morph. So your country of origin analogy is irrelevant, because all humans are the exact same species. You don’t need DNA evidence to prove that.
To a similar point, you don’t need DNA evidence to identify morphologically distinct species of zoanthid/paly. If you wanted to know the morph, on the other hand, then you might need to do some further investigation.

Last edited:

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deeds, et al. 2011
1712850054115.png

Some of the the samples tested in THIS study showed palytoxin. There are others.

You are now going to split hairs and try to compare "weakly toxic" to "highly toxic" but will be again missing the point. If you read the research, these are interspersed side by side with siblings that contain high levels and those that contain none. They have only tested a tiny fraction of the known species.

You, at every juncture of this conversation appear to have ignored the facts in favor of your opinion.
I stand corrected

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are correct in a literal sense—technically, no species can be identified fully without DNA evidence. However, species identification exists with the purpose of individuals being able to identify things visually. @encrustingacro has correctly identified a species based on the observations and experiments of scientists.
There is no need to be obtuse, it obfuscates the point. IDing these things by looks is fine for general conversation, sale, whatever. The problem is that it is NOT close enough with regard to positive identification for the sake of determining toxicity, origin, etc.

You also seem to be confusing the term species with the term morph. There are hundreds of zoanthid breeds which have all sorts of crazy names, but they all fall under an umbrella species name.
I am not confusing anything. Both my be intermingled here in conversation by various parties or segments of hte conversation, but the issue (again) is that one can't tell by looks alone which morph is or is not toxic and many morphs are ambiguous when physical traits such as color, number of tentacles, disc size, etc. are considered.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no need to be obtuse, it obfuscates the point. IDing these things by looks is fine for general conversation, sale, whatever. The problem is that it is NOT close enough with regard to positive identification for the sake of determining toxicity, origin, etc.

I am not confusing anything. Both my be intermingled here in conversation by various parties or segments of hte conversation, but the issue (again) is that one can't tell by looks alone which morph is or is not toxic and many morphs are ambiguous when physical traits such as color, number of tentacles, disc size, etc. are considered.
Sure, but when someone has expertise in the matter, they are able to tell such distinct differences. I should think that being able to correctly identify a species by morphology would be less obfuscating than repeatedly saying “we can’t know unless we have the DNA”. Given that we’re not going to conduct such analyses with each ID thread, the best we can do is make an educated observation based on the data that we do have. To consider this method of identification as objectively wrong is simply irrational and damaging to the conversation.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 48 41.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 28.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back