Little Clams reproducing in reef?

Ramses0314

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had these little clams reproduce and spread all over the dark areas of my tank. I attached a picture of both sides of 1. They seem to be able to move and reattach. They are various colors, some have brownish stripes. It all started with one that came attached on the back of a snail I believe.

B639A530-670B-49CA-9574-97EA5A63F225.jpeg A0C2C266-9BD8-40E1-B560-D2B47BDC8427.jpeg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are various colors, some have brownish stripes.
Do you have any pics of some with different colors?

I agree that it doesn't look like the turkey wing bivalves I'm familiar with (genus Arca are the ones I'm aware of, but, with many creatures share common names, it wouldn't surprise me if these guys were considered turkey wing bivalves as well), but I also agree that they're harmless filter feeders.
I have had these little clams reproduce and spread all over the dark areas of my tank.
When you say they've reproduced, do you mean that they have been actively spawning and that they young have been growing out in your tank? or do you just mean that you keep finding more of them?

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some type of mussel. Do they attach to rocks with little strings (byssal thread)?

OP
OP
R

Ramses0314

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any pics of some with different colors?

I agree that it doesn't look like the turkey wing bivalves I'm familiar with (genus Arca are the ones I'm aware of, but, with many creatures share common names, it wouldn't surprise me if these guys were considered turkey wing bivalves as well), but I also agree that they're harmless filter feeders.

When you say they've reproduced, do you mean that they have been actively spawning and that they young have been growing out in your tank? or do you just mean that you keep finding more of them?
I just keep finding more

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't think those are turkey wing clams. They look more like mussels. Do they move? I have something similar (though only one or two) that can crawl around on its foot like a snail, and will climb glass.

I wouldn't be sure that they're breeding yet. More likely they're just emerging from rockwork and whatnot. Definitely harmless, regardless of species; bivalves are almost exclusively filter-feeders. Carnivorous species are few and far between.

OP
OP
R

Ramses0314

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think those are turkey wing clams. They look more like mussels. Do they move? I have something similar (though only one or two) that can crawl around on its foot like a snail, and will climb glass.

I wouldn't be sure that they're breeding yet. More likely they're just emerging from rockwork and whatnot. Definitely harmless, regardless of species; bivalves are almost exclusively filter-feeders. Carnivorous species are few and far between.
yeah, they move occasionally but will typically stay put once they find a happy place. I only had seen one at first, but Idk if it has been cloning itself or maybe I had a pair hitch.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Clams can't split to clone themselves like anemones can, and it's unlikely that a pair spawned (or a single spawned with itself) as bivalve larvae are all (as far as I know) planktonic and therefore tend to die quickly in the average reef.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 42 20.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 148 73.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back