Live rock question

sweetcoralina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. After a long research I am finally adding stuff to my tank. Went to my local LFS and got some rocks. Stacked together to make a couple caves front and back. The thing is I kinda took my time to stacking them and it probably took me 6 hours before I actually add water, then another two hours for a power head in the tank. Are the live rock still “live” at this point or there will be die off? Not sure what that is exactly but I think it’s a thing.

I also can’t add heater as I don’t have enough saltwater to completely fill the tank and the heater needs to be fully submerged. Will that cause any issue? I’m filling the whole thing tomorrow. LFS also told me to run the power head but won’t it make the sand settle slower? Or it doesn’t matter because I’m pouring another 30g of water in there tomorrow.

And is the sand bed too thick? I have a 65.4g aio and I only got 40lbs of live fiji pink and it still feel quite thick. I tried to shove some around the rock too.

Thanks for any help in advance.

OP
OP
sweetcoralina

sweetcoralina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops accidentally posted twice I’ll include photos in this one too in case the first one is missing.

Attachments

• IMG_5148.jpeg
    IMG_5148.jpeg
    115.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5149.jpeg
    IMG_5149.jpeg
    138.8 KB · Views: 15

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks good to me! That rock looks like it was dry already before you put it in the tank. Should be fine no worries there. And your sand may be deep but if you want sand sifting fish or wrasses that sleep in the sand its perfect!

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. After a long research I am finally adding stuff to my tank. Went to my local LFS and got some rocks. Stacked together to make a couple caves front and back. The thing is I kinda took my time to stacking them and it probably took me 6 hours before I actually add water, then another two hours for a power head in the tank. Are the live rock still “live” at this point or there will be die off? Not sure what that is exactly but I think it’s a thing.

I also can’t add heater as I don’t have enough saltwater to completely fill the tank and the heater needs to be fully submerged. Will that cause any issue? I’m filling the whole thing tomorrow. LFS also told me to run the power head but won’t it make the sand settle slower? Or it doesn’t matter because I’m pouring another 30g of water in there tomorrow.

And is the sand bed too thick? I have a 65.4g aio and I only got 40lbs of live fiji pink and it still feel quite thick. I tried to shove some around the rock too.

Thanks for any help in advance.
Your sandbed is fine, like the person above said if you want sand-sifting fish like gobbies you will be just fine with that amount of sand. The rock doesn't look like live rock which is no big deal. Best of luck with the rest of your cycle and getting your tank set up!

OP
OP
sweetcoralina

sweetcoralina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your sandbed is fine, like the person above said if you want sand-sifting fish like gobbies you will be just fine with that amount of sand. The rock doesn't look like live rock which is no big deal. Best of luck with the rest of your cycle and getting your tank set up!
I only used some live rock and the rest is dry. I don't really think I'll add goby but I assume during water change/gravel vacuuming some sand will be lost? I don't think any fish I want will go to the sand, but then apart from goby I don't know what fish goes to the sand...

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 22.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 67 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back