"LIVE ROCKS"

ED WELSON

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"HELLO EVERYBODI

I`M STILL WORKING TO CREATE A SALTWATER REEF TANK. A LOT OF QUESTIONS AND A LOT ANSWERS AS WELL. I BOUGHT A COUPLE OF EX LIVE ROCKS. I EXPLAIN: DRY ROCKS FROM BRAZILIAN COAST. EVERYTHING WAS DOING JUST FINE EXCEPT BY THE FACT OF APPEARANCE OF A BAD SMELL OF BREAKDOWN OF MATERIAL, I.E, PROTEIN DECOMPOSITION.
FIRST OF ALL: THIS SITUATION IS NORMAL? I MAY USE THESE "LIVE ROCKS"?
THE REEF PARAMETERS WILL NORMALIZE?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the bad smell is probably from die off on the rock. You can use it to cycle your tank. It is normal and all will settle down once the tank is running but will take a few weeks

OP
OP
ED WELSON

ED WELSON

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the bad smell is probably from die off on the rock. You can use it to cycle your tank. It is normal and all will settle down once the tank is running but will take a few weeks
Bobman, so you do believe that is possible to use these rocks and take a good cycle? have you ever experienced a situation lake that?

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I ordered rock before and when they came in they stuck as you are describing. No real issues except depending on the amount of die off you will probably get a hard cycle so be prepared to do water changes during your cycle to keep whatever may still be alive in the rock alive. I hope you have them in salt water now to prevent any further die off.

OP
OP
ED WELSON

ED WELSON

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I ordered rock before and when they came in they stuck as you are describing. No real issues except depending on the amount of die off you will probably get a hard cycle so be prepared to do water changes during your cycle to keep whatever may still be alive in the rock alive. I hope you have them in salt water now to prevent any further die off.
Unfortunately no!!!
Still drying

image.jpg

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decent looking rock. If you are drying them out then wait a while and you will have dry rock. I would personally try to keep it live but you can use it either way with little to no issues. If you dry the rock though I would cure them before using them or give them a reall good bath at the very least

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed it should be just fine. I started a nano tank with rock I pulled from the shore line of the florida keys and it was fine. Looks exactly like what you got there. Just like any other tank watch for ammonia. Depending on when you set the tank up you will probably get a decent ammonia spike. So your cycle might take longer than most but it will cycle just like any other rock.

OP
OP
ED WELSON

ED WELSON

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed it should be just fine. I started a nano tank with rock I pulled from the shore line of the florida keys and it was fine. Looks exactly like what you got there. Just like any other tank watch for ammonia. Depending on when you set the tank up you will probably get a decent ammonia spike. So your cycle might take longer than most but it will cycle just like any other rock.
Bobman, I will try to use my rocks. To change for a sansibar ones was a possibility but I liked these ones very much... Knowing your experience is really very good.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 94 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back