Livestock build. Critique me please.

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing about sand is unsafe.

Plus if he's interested in wrasses sand would be beneficial and keep them from stress of not being able to burrow. IMO.
If maintained properly yes. you are right. Don't touch your sand bed to clean it's surface and watch it crust up in places after a year or so. Water needs to move the suface abit to prevent this. Remember this " A non maintained sand bed Will come back to bite you" o_O

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even then , maintenance is easy, especially if he's gonna get a diamond goby or sand star. This is also why we have clean up crews. Way I figure it, probably a good 90% of hobbyist have a sand bed if it wasn't safe why use it.

Also want to say I'm not trying to be argumentative, just feel as though telling a "newbie" something is dangerous could heavily influence his decision....we all reef the way we do for the joy of it just want to make sure he sees both sides. :D

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even then , maintenance is easy, especially if he's gonna get a diamond goby or sand star. This is also why we have clean up crews. Way I figure it, probably a good 90% of hobbyist have a sand bed if it wasn't safe why use it.

Also want to say I'm not trying to be argumentative, just feel as though telling a "newbie" something is dangerous could heavily influence his decision....we all reef the way we do for the joy of it just want to make sure he sees both sides. :D

I most agree with you and I Do Care about my fellow reefers as much as you. I don't want any one to make some of the mistakes that I had in the Past. I feel you you know the pros and cons of a sand bed that you can make an Informed decision. Yes I do forget that a newbie can be over whelmed with alot of data. My Bad:oops:

ReefConcept

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of the critiques atm are helpful. I disagree with the Blue Hippo Tang comments however, as it is contingent on you having an upgrade plan or larger tank, maybe a friend w/ sizeable home for it.

The HorseShoe Crab n Six Line Wrasse will definitely introduce problems and issues for you long-term. Be cognizant of how your copepods population is before welcoming the Dragonet.

4 Clowns can work w/ a hosting Carpet Anemone if introduced all at once and most likely the largest/dominant male will mutate into a female if not one already--sequential hermaphrodites.

Most Fairy Wrasses are wonderful, peaceful, and super colorful at terminal phase--Diver's Den from LiveAquaria usually has a few everyday.

Sand is fine, with nutrients and water parameters kept in check...no worries. Your setup appears to be very nice and good for the most part. Congrats!

abinder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to consider a rose bubble tipped sea anemone instead of a carpet sea anemone. It's much safer with other fish around, especially smaller fish.

Allen

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If maintained properly yes. you are right. Don't touch your sand bed to clean it's surface and watch it crust up in places after a year or so. Water needs to move the suface abit to prevent this. Remember this " A non maintained sand bed Will come back to bite you" o_O
A sand bed 'crusts up' if there is insufficient microfauna, from either gravel vacing or introducing a predator, such as a sand sifting star, or it will 'crust up' because of too much Ca and Kh. A healthy sandbed, that is left alone will not 'crust up'.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back