Long term flagfin angel keepers

salty joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about getting a flagfin angel. I know this is not an easy fish so am hoping to get advice from those with success.

FWIW, I've had a copper band butterfly for almost three years, a great fish.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept a flagfin for several years and rehomed her to another tank when I adopted a tessa. The fish was actice, a good eater, and even a little boisterous. At the time I was warned against them, this is what I found. They are almost always inundated with internal parasites, and maybe even flukes. It may take multiple, multi faceted treatments to clear. I treated with general cure, then metro/focus in food. A separate treatment of prazi pro is also a good idea as it is more effective on flukes. They do not like a small tank, at least a 55g is recommended for a qt. I had her in a 40B and she was stressed and I cut qt short. Good to high flow is appreciated.

1701015407298.png

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. What did your flagfin like to eat?
She was a pig really; did like scallop, pe mysis, silver fish that I got from the Asian market. I'm a health nut so I made a fresh mix of various seafood and live macro algae. I would use shrimp, scallop, clam, mussel, salmon, gracillaria, caulerpa, and other various seafood when fresh. I also feed Ocean Nutrition cubes, formula one, angel formula, trigger formula. I would cut the cubes into quarters while still frozen just soft even to cut. I would mince and chop it up using smaller and larger pieces, and freeze in small batches that last about 6 months. Older frozen food will start to lose it's beneficial nutrients and elements. I also kept a majestic angel for about 10 years and was rehomed along the other fish in my 210g. Many people also have a hard time keeping the majestic long term. While I was ok with water quality, my majestic would indicate when I let it slip by getting spotchy in color, I certainly wasn't a nut with water quality but was with nutrition. Brightwell also makes an angel supplement called Angel Elixir, I used it early on but hadn't used it for years. I think the longevity has to be nutrition based. Angels overall can be delicate when it comes to nutritional deficiencies.

OP
OP
S

salty joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My approach is similar to yours, I'm going to look for a pair of juvi flagfins. I very much appreciate your detailed info!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 124 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back