Long term reviews for hygger heaters

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about running the 1000W hygger in my 180gal tank 40 gal sump system. The tnak is in basement which runs colder and I plan to keep it at about 73-75. I see this is quartz not titanium, but it has a controller for a 1000w with controller for 65 isn’t bad. Could this be a good option and then get another controller in the future to have a fail safe?

Also if you have run these heaters can you give me your pros and cons and weather you would run it again?

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3720.png

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any personal experience with these heaters, but I'm also in the market for a new heater since mine just failed after 6 years of use. I have a temp marineland one while I choose a good replacement.

I'm hesitant to buy anything that doesn't have a long and rock solid history in the community, but quality heaters are very expensive. I started some research before the fail happened, after reading horror stories of heaters that failed in the on position. But the outcome of that was being overwhelmed by the choices, and the conflicting info.

Anyway, I hope someone can answer your question. Bump for you and GL!

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any personal experience with these heaters, but I'm also in the market for a new heater since mine just failed after 6 years of use. I have a temp marineland one while I choose a good replacement.

I'm hesitant to buy anything that doesn't have a long and rock solid history in the community, but quality heaters are very expensive. I started some research before the fail happened, after reading horror stories of heaters that failed in the on position. But the outcome of that was being overwhelmed by the choices, and the conflicting info.

Anyway, I hope someone can answer your question. Bump for you and GL!
I read alot about ehiem which is a option for me but everyone says titanium eheim with controller but that's about 200 bucks for that...

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonder if this hygger is better than just a regular Ehiem titanium... with hygger being quartz and having a controller compared to Ehiem being titanium and no controller for the time being.

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about running the 1000W hygger in my 180gal tank 40 gal sump system. The tnak is in basement which runs colder and I plan to keep it at about 73-75. I see this is quartz not titanium, but it has a controller for a 1000w with controller for 65 isn’t bad. Could this be a good option and then get another controller in the future to have a fail safe?

Also if you have run these heaters can you give me your pros and cons and weather you would run it again?

I've never used a heater by Hygger, although I do use their pumps all over the place. That said, I would recommend not getting a single heater. Heaters are the most likely component to fail in a tank and they usually fail in the on position. I'd go with two heaters, each 50% of the total wattage you need. It's far less likely that both will fail at the same time and then you don't kill your tank.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never used a heater by Hygger, although I do use their pumps all over the place. That said, I would recommend not getting a single heater. Heaters are the most likely component to fail in a tank and they usually fail in the on position. I'd go with two heaters, each 50% of the total wattage you need. It's far less likely that both will fail at the same time and then you don't kill your tank.
Hmm so a tank with roughly 220 gallons of water what 2 watt heaters would you recommend?

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm so a tank with roughly 220 gallons of water what 2 watt heaters would you recommend?

Absolutely no idea lol. Figure out what sized single heater you'd need and divide that number by 2. I only have a 75g and run two 150w heaters and they do just fine. Not sure how it scales up though. The main thing is to always have two heaters so you don't overheat and kill your tank.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm do I get a hygger for the looks and the controller or the eheim for the years of people backing it... I think with ehiem I could get 2 like 300w or something like that for like 75 which ain't bad. Just don't know If I would need 2 controllers for each or how that works.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is a 2 piece combo - it’s a stand alone titanium heating element and an external controller. Heating element with a normal plug and it plugs into the controller

This takes all the electronics out of the heater element, it’s just a stick that warms up when power is given. The controller and temp probe are separate and spaced away from the heater and the heat it produces

If the heater ever fails in ON the controller will sound an alarm and cut power if needed. Then t it can just replace the element and save some bucks

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is a 2 piece combo - it’s a stand alone titanium heating element and an external controller. Heating element with a normal plug and it plugs into the controller

This takes all the electronics out of the heater element, it’s just a stick that warms up when power is given. The controller and temp probe are separate and spaced away from the heater and the heat it produces

If the heater ever fails in ON the controller will sound an alarm and cut power if needed. Then t it can just replace the element and save some bucks
Finnex, hmm this is a new brand I don't think I have heard of. Is this one you have used?

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are inkbird controllers any good? I see you can plug 2 heaters into it and control them thru it.

Finnex is a brand name that has been around for over 20 years and makes high end stuff, no frills, reliable stuff.

Every brand has had failures but if you filter out the units with built in controllers, the reliability percentage drastically increases. Putting the controller chips inches from the heater seems to be a failure cause for all brands

The heater is large because it’s a single 800w heater. You could browse that site and get two smaller ones and a single controller because they are all available individually. I posted that model because it’s a package but you could buy two smaller elements and the controller if you like

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would do this

50$

And
90$

And
6$

moretor1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hygger has some decent stuff but i would never trust the build quality of a cheap chinese heater

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those hygger ones look flashy and I liked them and considered for my new 83g build but they are filled with reviews of them exploding or corroding and failing. It’s cheap parts in an attractive housing

Go simple. Reliable Controller. Plain Titanium stick heaters. No gimmicks or extra junk built in

I have the 300w model on my 75g display for 7 or 8 years and no issues. That controller I posted is quality, I can hear it click on and off throughout the day. It’s an old school simple reliable design. If I turn off my return and the heater chamber gets too warm, an alarm kicks goes off and the heater power is cut. When I resume flow, the water circulates and temp goes down, the alarm stop, and heating goes back to normal

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hygger has some decent stuff but i would never trust the build quality of a cheap chinese heater

Yes like for example I would use them for a wavemaker. Not a heater. If a wavemaker dies it’s not the end of the tank. The heaters are definitely cheaply made and they will work but for how long ? And what’s the impact when it fails?

moretor1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes like for example I would use them for a wavemaker. Not a heater. If a wavemaker dies it’s not the end of the tank. The heaters are definitely cheaply made and they will work but for how long ? And what’s the impact when it fails?
agreed hygger has some very good products imo (i always use their lights for my freshwater tanks)

I think they may start releasing some more marine focused lights too, i think i saw them post something about one

atm it's just small nano tank lights but i suspect they're working out production kinks for their deep blue lights

Back