Look at me when I’m talking to you! Do you ever feel like your fish is trying to communicate with you?

Do you ever feel like your fish is trying to communicate with you?

• My fish definitely communicates with me.

Votes: 122 52.4%
  • My fish seems to be communicating with me.

Votes: 58 24.9%
  • I don’t think my fish is trying to communicate with me.

Votes: 21 9.0%
  • I don’t speak “fish” so I have no idea.

Votes: 29 12.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya they are telling me, feed us. When I walk away they are all watching and screaming you idiot feed us

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jawfish looks at me, then goes scoops up sand and spits it into the wave generator. He's telling me to feed him since he knows that gets turned off when it's time for food.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hungry feed me GIF

My fish

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish know how to communicate and I think it behooves us as good husbandry of our livestock to understand what they're saying. I once accidently overdosed kalkwasser to a 55 gallon aquarium. Lost many of the inhabitants, the few that survived pressed themselves up against the glass. I had a QT tank going for some new arrivals, so, I threw a net into the crashed tank and two fish swam right into the net, I pulled them out and put them in the QT tank where I'm pretty sure they thanked me for saving their lives.

I've never seen a fish willingly swim into a net... These did, they knew their chances in a net were higher than staying in the crashing tank.

I've never seen that behavior before nor since.

My fish now oviously swim up to me when I'm next to the tank, thinking of getting fed, but after a bit they swim away out of boredom. What's weird is as soon as I get my phone out and start taking pictures they all swim into the shot. routinely they photobomb the picture. I don't believe they know I'm taking pictures, but, what the heck.. stop photobombing my coral pics!

Joekovar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had an oscilaris clown for probably 4 years now. One of the first 2 fish I added.

Somewhere along the lines I added a lightning maroon, which was smaller than the oscilaris in the beginning but is now probably 4x as large. They got along fine for maybe a year.

As the maroon got larger, it began bullying the oscilaris, bad. The oscilaris stayed in its tiny corner for a long time. It got to where I fed above the oscilaris so it got first dibs and didn't have to venture out to get food.

Recently I setup a frag system, and since the maroon gets along with everything else, I moved the oscilaris to the frag system all by itself.

It swims all over now. When I get close to the surface it comes right up to me and I swear it's mouthing "thank you!" at me.

TinnysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My frogfish definitely waves his angler at me when he's hungry.

Otherwise ... he may be judging me at all times lol.

IMG_7558.jpg

Paris by Night

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my nano in my bedroom. Around 9 pm at lights out my blue clown goby snuggles into his bed. It’s usually my sign to get off my phone and sleep. Still makes me laugh so hard.
668E92F9-D5CF-4411-A59E-770ADB14E12F.jpeg

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides the typical “feed me” behavior, my starry blenny definitely tells me to get my arm out of his aquarium when he attacks it!

HawkeyeDJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cardinals can tell time. There is a large clock in sight of the tank, and they start showing agitation as the dinner hour approaches.

Feeding is a two -part process. First, I gather a small quantity of tank water and go the kitchen where I drop in a frozen mysis cube and wait for it to melt. If I return to the living room without the food, the cardinals get frantic, swimming back and forth, and if they could talk, they would be spewing profanities.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When fish don't get excited when I pick up a glass but try to swim through the glass when I pick up their food container I's say they're sending a pretty clear message to me to hurry up. :D

Dmmz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish just know who the food source is I don't consider it communication if they could it would be get me out of this tank and into the ocean would be my guess

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back