Look what I found in my rocks!!!! Fireworm??

Urchinsmurchin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was getting ready to feed and this guy decided to stick his head out for a bite. I believe he is a fireworm but since I wasn't sure I figured better safe than sorry. Needless to say he was in a huge rock at the bottom of the tank so after a partial tank disassembly, a screw driver, a hammer, a pair of tweezers and a flashlight we finally got him out. He ended up getting broken in half unfortunately:sad:. Now what do I do with him?? He appears to be ok. His halves are in a bowl of tank water atm.

mini-IMG_1769.jpg

AlexStinson

Plankton
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like a bristle worm, not a horrible thing to have, probably not a great thing either. Bigs ones can munch on desireables.

now if those were full sized oakleaves in the picture.. I would suggest running as far as you can!

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That one reminds me of fireworms (though they usually have a little more color-I'm sure there's diversity, though). I personally don't want anything as (potentially) big as a fireworm in my big displays (small, individual/species tanks are for those guys and other oddities;)). Normal bristlewoms aren't a problem, but I'm thinking that one is thicker/bulkier than the normal bristleworm.

bamachamp92

WIL E. COYOTE SUPERGENIUS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea another guy came in the other day with one that looked exactly like that one. About as big around as your thumb. Get rid of it, it is some sort of fireworm not a bristleworm.

gilmour01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
those are just regular ol bristleworms. if you dont mind them, toss'em back in the tank and let them be part of the CUC. if you dont like them, toss'em in the bowl and give them a flush. i've got a bunch that look exactly like those in my softie tank.

Last edited:

Cuda

Hunter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristle Worm . They never bothered anything for me . Im sure your rocks are full of them if you crack them open.

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got two of those at about 18 inches long. They never bother anything, have been through several tank tear downs (watch under every rock you pick up from the sand bed, you don't want to touch them), and I consider them a valuable part of the clean up crew. Whenever something dies you can find them (or they find the dead critter) and cover it with slime and munch away.

Bristleworms have gotten a bad rap in the past because a lot of people confuse them with the red or orange fireworm type that sometimes munch on corals.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 99 43.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 76 33.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 37 16.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back