Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 260 73.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 25 7.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 59 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 2.5%

• Total voters

rc8t6353

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started with it. Now I'm using RPM Pro.

Attachments

• PXL_20240317_221459582.jpg
    PXL_20240317_221459582.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 15

ReefShaQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah that’s why I get the bucket of reef crystals. Airtight lid. Got a box once, had a brick of salt after a few mixes. Very humid where I am
Its always muggy and humid where I am also...good to know that the buckets are better to use!

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef crystals is all I’ve ever used although I have considered switching to the basic instant ocean if I ever catch it on a good sale.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Astonishing that 86% started with IO! I will never go back once I change to Fritz! Its clears in 20 minute while I0 would take all day! Sometimes I wonder if the switch is why I am more successful but could be that I was a rookie back in my IO days! lol

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using Instant Ocean since my first 40 gallon saltwater tank back in 1987, Still use it today. The only time I ever used anything but Instant Ocean was when I had my collecting facility in Hawaii and we used Natural Sea Water.

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my first salt was Kent Marine. It had crazy high dKH but that’s what was the thing at that point. It came in a 7 gallon bucket which was a nice bucket to use after. Switched instant ocean (OG, not reef crystals) and have used it almost exclusively. I have used RS blue bucket from time to time, especially if I’m doing a huge water change, like when I set up my new tank which was 1/2 old tank water and 1/3 fresh.

Otherwise, IO for about 17 years

smitten with ocean life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
io is what i started out with but was battling high alk. was told by an ''expert'' to switch to red sea. so i did. it took care of my problem, but i have to order it and its more expensive:confused-face:. miss being able to just run into the LFS snd pick up my salt...

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I started with IO with fish only tanks. Moved to Reef Crystals when I started a reef. Use Fritz Blue box now.

rdirtytwo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my nano with IO reef crystals a year ago and I've been using it since. I've probably had one bad mix (it was probably my fault, humidity caused clumping) towards the end of the bucket.

Brazilian Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never used it before. I started with Fauna Marin, then switched to Tropic Marin, changed to Red Sea (blue bucket), one of the best salts in my opinion, and now I use a Brazilian salt (MBreda) that I really appreciate.

Kenhill82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My local LFS has a tank with premixed saltwater, so I used theirs! :cool: Not sure which salt they use.

rc8t6353

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Astonishing that 86% started with IO! I will never go back once I change to Fritz! Its clears in 20 minute while I0 would take all day! Sometimes I wonder if the switch is why I am more successful but could be that I was a rookie back in my IO days! lol
The clearing time with Fritz is very fast. Comes in clutch when you need to make salinity adjustments

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

Regardless of what salt you use now, many reef keepers started with Instant Ocean. This seems to be true whether you have started reefing recently or have been in the hobby a long time. As a side note, many years ago Instant Ocean used to have a saltwater fish facility in Florida where I had the privilege of seeing the hatchery and meeting the founder many years ago. No matter how long you have been in the hobby and no matter what salt you use now, did you start with Instant Ocean salt? Bonus points for anyone else who wants to reminisce about the Instant Ocean fish facility!!! Also, please let us know if you have ever bought more than six boxes or buckets of salt at one time!

Brett S_InstantOcean.jpeg

Photo by @Brett S

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.tidalgardens.com

TidalGardensBanner3.jpeg

“The goal of Tidal Gardens is to offer the highest quality corals to those seeking a piece of that world without destroying it. We hope to instill a deep appreciation for the natural reefs and help develop a self-sustaining hobby that no longer requires the collection of fish and corals.”

I think I started with Rila Marine Mix in 1968.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 170 72.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.1%
Back