Looking for help selecting a skimmer

korndogg091

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120g with a 70g sump. I am probly going to upgrade to a 180g tank because I like the 6ft tanks. Im going to have a heavy bio load. What skimmer do you think would work best for me and why. Im hoping to get a good skimmer discusion going. please chime in.

OP
OP
K

korndogg091

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im not sure, lets say $500-$1000. im wondering whats the best for my tank if money was unlimited and then for my budget.

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were you I would look into Deltec and H&S. They are both very good skimmers and excellent quality. A Deltec AP701 would be a great size. Not sure what the equivalent would be in an H&S.

Paintguru

In need of tank
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my DAS skimmer. Allegedly a similar design to the Deltecs but at a fraction of the price. You can get a really nice DAS in your price range.

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmmm, as far as deltecs go...i would go with either the AP701 ($1133) or AP851 ($1190)
http://www.deltecusa.us/proteinskimmers/ap851.php

as for H&S, go with A200-1260 ($1300)
http://www.finsreef.com/home.php?cat=254

reason why i would choose b/w those 2 companies, is those are solid german eheim pumps...and both companies have great customer service and warenties and stand behind their products (esspecially the really expensive products).

Pitcom

Not Reef Safe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the market as well for a skimmer when i upgrade my tank. I've been looking at the Ati BubbleMaster and the Reeflo skimmers.

OP
OP
K

korndogg091

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the market as well for a skimmer when i upgrade my tank. I've been looking at the Ati BubbleMaster and the Reeflo skimmers.

anyone have experience with these? how do they compare with the Deltec and H&S? what makes one skimmer better then the next?

Pitcom

Not Reef Safe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone have experience with these? how do they compare with the Deltec and H&S? what makes one skimmer better then the next?

I honestly just read all the posts on skimmers at reef central(even though i hate rc). It appears as though there a handful of really good skimmers these days. I guess the starting point is deciding if you want an external or insump skimmer. In my opinion its a toss up between all the skimmers mentioned so far, they all have had great reports of sucess.

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you read the guy that put 3 drops of dish washing soap in his bubblemaster. He was going to clean it and turned it on. LOL big mistake!!! There's a pic of it.

JGoslee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how many gallon tank is your ATI running on?

where do they sell them? and for how much? is it internal or external?
I had the ati on my 90gal and my deltec on my 58gal. About 3 months ago I switched the skimmers to see the difference. The ati IMO was really kicking butt on my 58gal.

The ati is plumbed internal. I got it from reefgeek. I paid around $600 for it.

chadfarmer

profilux in the house
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the ati on my 90gal and my deltec on my 58gal. About 3 months ago I switched the skimmers to see the difference. The ati IMO was really kicking butt on my 58gal.

The ati is plumbed internal. I got it from reefgeek. I paid around $600 for it.

thats like compairing apples to oranges

(i know the deltec costs more but they arent the same size bodys or pumps)

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If I were you I would look into Deltec and H&S. They are both very good skimmers and excellent quality. A Deltec AP701 would be a great size. Not sure what the equivalent would be in an H&S.

Agreed... Or if you want to save a few bucks you could go with a DAS and ret similiar performance. Ati is on par with these to... Anyone of them is a good choice.....

Dave

Last edited:

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 66 30.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 59 27.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 45 20.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 44 20.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%

Back