Looks like hair on my coral?

carlykush

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve only had these Zoas for about two weeks I’d say and I noticed two days ago that there is a hair-like thing growing out of two of them. We bought 3 frags and only 2 are affected. The two affected are right by each other (view video) and the other frag is on the opposite side of the tank. I have a 75 gallon tank using the Fluval Sealight light. What is this and should I be concerned? (This is my first reef tank so I’m not the most experienced!)

BADA60A7-0F26-40E0-BE91-68EA4ED635D0.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5304.MOV
    51.5 MB
OP
OP
C

carlykush

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's probably hair Algae. I wouldn't buy anything else. Your rock looks like you just started the tank this week. Has it even cycled yet?
Yes however that piece of rock IS indeed new. We added more in when we got the coral. Tank was cycled for 3 weeks. That is probably the only piece of rock not covered in diatoms actually lol

OP
OP
C

carlykush

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's probably hair Algae. I wouldn't buy anything else. Your rock looks like you just started the tank this week. Has it even cycled yet?
I don’t plan on adding anything new for awhile until we figure out how to fix the issue at hand.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool. Just chill for a few months before adding anything else. A clean up crew would just die. You can scrub the frags once a week with a toothbrush to keep it down. Or just pick it off with your fingers.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back