Loosing Fish Help

dhutcheson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I woke up this morning and had lsot another fish (Bruce) my male clownfish and I am not sure why. I had lost my goby just the day before. I do a 10 to 15% water change weekly with RODI water and the paramaters are all still reading good temp is between 77-78. Salinity is 1.024 the Ammonia is at 0. What ever it is, It is only effecting the fish the coral and anemone are doing well. .I did notice a few small white spots on the clown but have been treating food with garlic to prevent ich all along. I have also treated with some 'kick ich" just in case this morning before work. I also changed the activated charcoal with the water change. Is there a chance this has caused and issue? The only thing I can think of that was different was I used a different batch of reef crystals to mix the water change. Any ideas?

Last edited:

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how often are you feeding your tank? Also what are the other inhabitants of the tank? Did he look beat up? Or just spontaneous death?

OP
OP
dhutcheson

dhutcheson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed soemthing or some part daily, I provide the yellow and hippo tang a few flakes and a little seaweed, I also will drop in some flakes or brine shrimp for the clowns. He looked good yesterday but this mornig he was gone and the hippo does not look good and think he will be gone before I get home at lunch. It appears to be a very quick thing. I do put in a little brightwell calcium about twice a week and add a couple of drops of the brightwell trace elements. The skimmer also appears to be working great with a normal amount of skimmate. I am going to pull the hood after work to check the overflow for anything I may have missed.

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you sprayed anything in the room? some aerosols can hit the water and kill the fish. I know from experience with this, but as long as he was eating well, it may have been ich. I would feed a little extra to help keep the others healthy. Hopefully you will not lose the tang. Good luck!

OP
OP
dhutcheson

dhutcheson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a 60 gallon Cube had a total of 5 fish goby, 2 clowns yellow tang and a very small blue tang

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you said you saw white ICH spots on the fish? that could very well be your indicator. could have been in his gills too and he died from that. crypt is a parasite that according to all fo the research I have read, is only beaten two ways. 1. Copper and 2. Hyposalinity. Garlic may stimulate the appetite and allow an other wise healthy fish eat and then fight off the parasite, but it is NOT a cure for that. there has been no Scientific evidence of this. there is also very little evidence of reef safe products like KICK ICK actualy working 100% in the reef tank.

Good garlic Article
Garlic: What has been Studied Versus What has been Claimed by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com
and from the same magazine about treatment of Crypt.
Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part I by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

while both are from the same place, I feel they are a great source of information. best I can say is read and know your enemy. most of us have been there (myself included) and know the headache.

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By any chance did you add any vodka the night before? Also this might be a ph issue.

Michael7979

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just skimmed thru so I may have missed it.
But you say you have good water but you do not list your PH, Alk, NO2, and NO3.
Can you do that please? It might help.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 104 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 82 33.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.7%
Back