Losing Euphyllia but not other LPS…

Morgantown Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

After a few years of googling questions that ultimately lead me to these forums, I decided to create an account and ask so here it goes..

Why are my Euphyllia corals dying/developing brown jelly disease while the rest of my LPS corals are doing just fine?

This post will probably be “long-winded” but I want to try and be as detailed as possible with what I do as maybe a more experienced reefer might be able to pick out my errors and diagnose the possible cause for this (i.e. Maybe I’m feeding to much, or is it because I’m storing frozen food in the fridge after feeding causing bacterial growth effecting my euphyllia, etc.)

A couple months back, I had the genius idea of wanting to create a ”Euphyllia garden” as the main focal point of my tank front and center. I order many of my corals online, so when they ship and get delivered, I promptly pull them out, drip acclimate them for 30 minutes to an hour, then dip them in CoralRX before placing them on a frag rack on the side of my tank For a couple weeks to monitor them as they become more adjusted to my system. I buy and add corals at a very slow rate as to not overwhelm my tank or the corals (current or new) and because It’s a lot easier on the wallet.

I’ve tried my hand with Euphyllias in the past when my tank was very young which didn’t make it unfortunately, but since then, I thought that my parameters have really evened out and have been very consistent for the last 6 - 8 months.

I do weekly water changes, filter floss changes every 2 - 3 days, running Chemi-pure elite which I switch out bi-monthly, and testing my parameters every week. I feed my fish and inverts once every other day and the remainder gets placed in the fridge (frozen mysis shrimp in a small cup of tank water and an algae pellet separately for the shrimp/hermit crabs/snails). I do use Reef Roids but only once or twice a week by using a 10 ml syringe and spot feed my corals as not to creat a spike in parameters. I also run a nano skimmer as to pull anything out that the filter floss and chemical-pure can’t might not.

As for corals, I had and currently still do have a nice Duncan which has nearly doubled in size, a nice Goniopora towards the side of the tank which is nearly always fully extended, two blastos that have already developed multiple heads, and a candy cane (the most recent coral added prior to the euphyllias) which has just now started to show signs of splitting. I also have some softies, pulsing Xenia and GSPs on their very own rocks, a Kenya tree and a ”mystery leather,“ and a nice Zoa garden that is starting to take shape in the corner of my tank. I have no SPS nor anemones.

For fish, I have a pair of snowflake clowns which I’ve had from the start, a six-line wrasse (the most recent addition to hopefully battle the bristle worm numbers), and a royal gramma.

The inverts and snails consist of a pin cushion urchin and blood red fire shrimp, as well as a few banded trochus snails, Mexican turbo snails, super Tongan Nassarius snails (which constantly lay eggs), and one fighting conch.

I have a 20 gallon Waterbox AIO thats been set up for 2 1/2 years now.

My parameters are as follows:
Salinity —— —1.025
pH ————— 7.9 - 8.0 (swings very lightly throughout The day between these two numbers)
Amonia ——— 0 ppm
Nitrite ———- 0 ppm
Nitrate ——— 0 ppm
Calicum ——- 439 ppm
kH ————— 9.2
phospahte — 0.23 ppm
temp ———- 76 F

Flow is intermediate, switching between pulsing/wave making and random flow, via the use of an Ai Nero 3 but nothing too strong or too light for my current corals.

When it initially started occurring, I would use a Turkey baster to remove any of the necrotic tissue before pulling out the infected coral and dipping it on coralRX with to no avail and the hammer coral, after a few more Turkey baster suctions And dips ended up dying a day later. I then tried Lugol’s iodine as a dip when my other Euphyllia coral, a two headed torch started showing signs. It seemed like it worked initially as once after the initial dip treatment, it managed to open up but then declined rapidly in less than a day. I then went to my old friend google for an answer and as always, lead me to Reef2Reef. I did end up stumbling upon a really detailed thread here when this issue started happening a month or so ago after all the Euphyllia were acclimated, added to the tank, and monitored for a few weeks before gluing the to the rock work:

At this point, when a third coral, another hammer, got infected I sucked out all the dead brown tissue, dipped it in Lugol’s, and placed it back in the tank not before adding one drop on lugol’s to the system and dosing 0.9 ml of Ciprofloxacin dissolved on RODI every other day, for three times in a five day period. Its been a week and a fourth coral, a hammer coral, has succumb to this nasty infection.

Should I continue to dose The antibiotic? Should I double the amount dosed? Should I dose every day instead of every other? Should I do nothing? Is there something I am doing causing this outbreak (i.e. Hands in water, bad food, etc.)? Any information would be greatly appreciated and again, I apologize for the very lengthy post but I look forward to hearing what you guys might know.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zero nitrate is a bad number.
.23 phosphate is not great either.
Together, that might trigger Dino’s or Cyanos.

Nitrate should be a stable 5-15ppm and phosphate say 0.05-.1

Should affecting some others as well though.

OP
OP
M

Morgantown Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I log all my weekly parameter checks and my nitrates hover around 0 - 5.0 where as my phosphates seem to run around the 0.2 mark. The most recent check I did was last Sunday and it came out to be 0 for nitrates and 0.23 for phosphates.

I’m now wondering how l could lower my phosphates while increasing nitrates without dosing aside from feeding more but I would think that would also increase my phosphates? Maybe I should try to turn off the skimmer from time to time to allow the nitrate levels to rise or a double water change?

killer2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to feed more. Feeding once every other day is simply not enough. Since your Nitrates are 0 your phosphates will continue to climb. I really think feeding more will solve your issues. Keep running your skimmer but don't collect anything in the cup.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others are stating. You are starving your corals. The torches will continue to die. You will be wasting money on dips, cipro, and anything else you put in the tank. Meanwhile. You may be able to keeps some zoa's, branching hammers, maybe some mushrooms, etc. Anything that can withstand these parms longer. They will not grow that fast, but will be around longer. Do you have any monti's that seem to fade away as well?

My recommendation is to start dosing nitrates and get them around 15 to 20ppm and keep them there. Once you get things there. Try another torch. With the parms at where you have them now. You may be fighting cyano and green hair algae which is also not good for the torch.

Post a FTS of your aquarium as well.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Others are correct, your LPS are starving with o nitrates but what this causes is stress to the corals and weakens their immune systems thus allowing BJD to get in and take over. Euphyllia are typically hit the the hardest with BJD but other corals can get it also. Dips won't help. Fragging off infected heads may help save the coral. Ciprofloaxin treatment can work. You need to get your parameters corrected and isolate infected corals.

Last edited:

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I forgot to add. My guess is that you started this tank with dry rock and that is why you cant sustain nitrates. I went through the same thing on my first experience with dry rock. I dose esv nitrate to keep them at the levels needed.

OP
OP
M

Morgantown Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I didn’t expect soo much good information this quickly! Thank you everyone who helped me figure this out. I can’t believe I overlooked nitrate and phosphate levels. I have heard many things regarding these two parameters whether to have none, some, or what have you but I will for sure correct this error and wait a while before trying again.

I did start with live rock initially from a LFS in PA near Pittsburgh, but the live rock I purchased unknowingly had been painted with purple paint? Completely something I overlooked as a newbie starting out thinking this was coralline… maybe that was doing something similar to what dry rock might do with nitrates but I can’t say.

Anyway, no I have no montis or anything like that. An online retailer we buy from sends a ”freebee” coral when you buy a few corals, and the montis we were given didn’t last long, maybe a week, but knowing what I know now I can see why.

Attached is a photo of my tank currently. You can see the spaces in the front where the previous euphyllia were attached to the rock.

Attachments

• 7BA70CC6-7CF1-4D5D-A738-FCF48F868BB6.jpeg
    7BA70CC6-7CF1-4D5D-A738-FCF48F868BB6.jpeg
    287.8 KB · Views: 63

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off. Your tank looks great! Good job.

Now with the new knowledge of your nitrates. You will be able to keep whatever you want. Once you get them up to right level and stable for like 4 to 6 weeks. You will be ready. You must have bought something similar to life rock. I have seen several different companys. they have some rock at my LFS on the shelfs that is purple and after I picked it up to look at it. I had purple on my hands. LOL.

However its pretty good rock as they use it to setup almost instant tanks in their shop around the facility. After about of week with no corals, they usually start loading them up.

Anyway. Good luck and keep us posted.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I didn’t expect soo much good information this quickly! Thank you everyone who helped me figure this out. I can’t believe I overlooked nitrate and phosphate levels. I have heard many things regarding these two parameters whether to have none, some, or what have you but I will for sure correct this error and wait a while before trying again.

I did start with live rock initially from a LFS in PA near Pittsburgh, but the live rock I purchased unknowingly had been painted with purple paint? Completely something I overlooked as a newbie starting out thinking this was coralline… maybe that was doing something similar to what dry rock might do with nitrates but I can’t say.

Anyway, no I have no montis or anything like that. An online retailer we buy from sends a ”freebee” coral when you buy a few corals, and the montis we were given didn’t last long, maybe a week, but knowing what I know now I can see why.

Attached is a photo of my tank currently. You can see the spaces in the front where the previous euphyllia were attached to the rock.
Tank looks good . LPS really need those nutrients to flourish.

Dad's side of the family is from Clairton back there.

OP
OP
M

Morgantown Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: I have been feeding more and allowing my nitrate levels to rise slightly. Everything is looking very healthy and open. I have just finished my parameter check a little bit ago and they are as follows:

Salinity: 1.025 ppm
pH: 7.9
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 4.50 ppm
Calcium: 423 ppm
kH: 10.8
Phosphate: 0.32 ppm

Thank you to everyone that chimed in and helped figure this issue out. Hopefully I’ll be able to slowly add more Euphyllia in the coming weeks while managing and tracking my nitrate and phosphate levels.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 134 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back