Lost First Fish - Keeping levels stable

Sir Kon Salty Sox

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost a CBB today, is the first fish I've had to pull from my tank. Really, really, really tough morning. I have a mean tang that bullies new fish for a couple of days when I add them. In anticipation of adding CBB, I had the mirror and a little cage with acryllic and egg crate the fish could stay and keep from the tang's aggression. It has been 8 days since the fish went in the tank. He did eat and swim as part of the community for the first 6 days, but I think the stress finally put him over the edge.

I may have tried to get them to be friends too soon - I noticed yesterday the fish has started hanging in the top corner of the tank. I lowered the flow last night, and found the CBB this morning, he has moved on to fishy Heaven.

I have kept a leopard wrasse happy and healthy, and I decided that I would take a chance on the CBB. I have already beat myself up enough over it, so please refrain from the negative comments. I do believe I did everything I could, except for removing the tang earlier. I am looking for help, not to be reprimanded.

The plan is to rehome the tang on Saturday. A nice gentleman with a fully stocked 330 gallon system is taking her in. I will miss her, but will feel a lot better about adding new fish to the tank.

What should I expect, removing a 7-8" fish, in terms of nutrient production? I have my levels where I want them, and I haven't added chemicals or dosing substances to get them to that point, just good old fashioned rock, flow, and live phyto. I'm wondering if taking out a significant portion of the "waste" created will shock the systems levels.

Stocking list

2 clown
1 melanarus
1 leopard
1 yellow coris
1 mandarin
1 orange shoulder (3 " baby)
2 chromis large
1 midas blenny

about 85% soft coral, few sparing LPS, no SPS at the moment but will be getting some soon.

no3 - 20
po4 - 0.07
ca- 400
ph - 8.3
kh - 8.7 - 9 ish, depending on how far from WC , plan is to set up auto WC soon, ish

Am I in a hurry to replace the 'waste produced' so my levels do not drop ? I don't even want to flirt with the idea of a low-nutrient system. That gives me the eebie jeebies just thinking about it.

Thank you for the help, please, do not make me feel more guilty about this than I already do. I knew what I was getting into - I really thought that after fattening up a leopard, I could try the "difficult to feed" fish tier. Lesson has been learned, looking for future's help.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss. I don't believe you will experience a noticeable change since the tank appears to have been stable before you added the CBB.

OP
OP
Sir Kon Salty Sox

Sir Kon Salty Sox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EFFB2568-CFD8-453B-B15E-5375D1C66658.jpeg

OP
OP
Sir Kon Salty Sox

Sir Kon Salty Sox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just wanting to make sure that I wouldn't have an issue with removing the "nutrients AKA poop" the tang was providing every 20-30 minutes in the corner of the tank

OP
OP
Sir Kon Salty Sox

Sir Kon Salty Sox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how old is he looks bigger than my powder blue

susan.jpg
it really was an unfortunate situation. I ordered it online from a company who will remain nameless, as a 2-3" fish (which 99% of them are). When it came in the bag, all I can say is the box and bag were not big enough. It was absolutely full grown when I received it. I was a new reefer and completely unprepared for a full grown tang. It was the third fish that went in the system, and all fish since it has pestered. I should have taken it out awhile ago, but I do like the fish a lot. I can't speak to it's age, but I have had her for almost a year.

I tried bringing it to LFS, and they literally told me it was too big. LOL. had a lot of people interested on FB marketplace, but when I sent them pictures they said "oh wow ya that is full grown" like when I told them full grown they assumed it was 4-5"

OP
OP
Sir Kon Salty Sox

Sir Kon Salty Sox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

you'll have to be on a desktop to see it, but this is her with the mirror up. she is just so angry

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a beautiful fish, though. Have you tried to rearrange your aquascape to create towers? This might allow the tang to feel that it only has to defend a much smaller territory. I've also used attractive species of macroalgae to create "curtains" which hide other fish, although that might be difficult achieve with a voracious planktivore.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 33 49.3%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.0%
Back