lost half my fish in one day. the rest seem fine

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im confused as to how a little detritus build up killed half of your fish... there are people that use LR in their sump with no socks and never clean that chamber out.

There were a few answer thrown out in the thread, detritus was not causing the issue. The detritus was a side effect of a buildup of bacteria. I my case I thought it was something to do with my bio pellet reactor, and I was going to pull it off line, but after a comment of @saltyfilmfolks made me remember that I slowed down my reactor and that was the last thing I did before my issue of bleaching and corals dying. I was also running high Po4's and even though the bio pellet, really have no effect on Po4's. I think this is was was causing my spike of phosphates and the bacteria in the pellets causing issue also buy not getting enough movement.

Does that make sense?:)

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha I must have missed that. Just saw the ah ha post.
In a couple of other threads here. A few folks had gunk built up and noticed the smell as well, esp once they disturbed it. Why this doesn't happen to every LARS tank, I dont know. I suppose the conditions have to be just right.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There were a few answer thrown out in the thread, detritus was not causing the issue. The detritus was a side effect of a buildup of bacteria. I my case I thought it was something to do with my bio pellet reactor, and I was going to pull it off line, but after a comment of @saltyfilmfolks made me remember that I slowed down my reactor and that was the last thing I did before my issue of bleaching and corals dying. I was also running high Po4's and even though the bio pellet, really have no effect on Po4's. I think this is was was causing my spike of phosphates and the bacteria in the pellets causing issue also buy not getting enough movement.

Does that make sense?:)
Oh and sorry J, Thats Awful.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 75 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back