OP
T

Twistedreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you go. I'm redoing the plumbing tomorrow thinking about just running flex PVC straight down to the sump with no corners

20190310_203949.jpg

OP
OP
T

Twistedreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the water is higher then the baffles the I had just put the ato on and had it set to high

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK

A few things .
1.The air tube inside the stand pipe might be to short, to long or pulling to much or to little air. Adjusting this can help stop the water noise.
2. The amount of water pushed up into the tank vs the size of the drain pipe going to the sump. Putting a ball valve on the pumps output to slow the water just even a tiny bit can often help in this case .
3. The Drain where it drops into the sump.. Having this pipe just above the water or just below can help..
My Thoughts..
Increase or reduce the water flow by adjust the pump with a ball valve.. Sometimes drilling holes in the drain pipe just above the water can also lower the noise by letting the air escape that is being pulled down from the air hole at the top of the stand pipe.

Its a trial and Error method to get them just right..
also with a over the top over flow like that I would recommend you get a auto shut off switch on your sump. Similar to a ato.. But if the water level in the sump goes low it will trigger the Return pump off. This will stop the tank from over flowing into the floor if your U PIPE Looses its prime... its just a simple electrical float a relay and power supply setup.. You can build one or buy them for under 50.00 at autotopoff.com... or similar sites..
Good Luck and hope you get it running nice and Quiet.....

OP
OP
T

Twistedreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK

A few things .
1.The air tube inside the stand pipe might be to short, to long or pulling to much or to little air. Adjusting this can help stop the water noise.
2. The amount of water pushed up into the tank vs the size of the drain pipe going to the sump. Putting a ball valve on the pumps output to slow the water just even a tiny bit can often help in this case .
3. The Drain where it drops into the sump.. Having this pipe just above the water or just below can help..
My Thoughts..
Increase or reduce the water flow by adjust the pump with a ball valve.. Sometimes drilling holes in the drain pipe just above the water can also lower the noise by letting the air escape that is being pulled down from the air hole at the top of the stand pipe.

Its a trial and Error method to get them just right..
also with a over the top over flow like that I would recommend you get a auto shut off switch on your sump. Similar to a ato.. But if the water level in the sump goes low it will trigger the Return pump off. This will stop the tank from over flowing into the floor if your U PIPE Looses its prime... its just a simple electrical float a relay and power supply setup.. You can build one or buy them for under 50.00 at autotopoff.com... or similar sites..
Good Luck and hope you get it running nice and Quiet.....
Wow thank you for taking the time to write this up
1 the air pipe in my stand pipe. I have messed with this for countless hours. From one airpipe to two airpipes to valve's. Adjusted from 4 inches to 1. I cant seem to find the sweet spot

2 I have a ball valve on my return. I have tried it in every position and is only quite when its shut like 90%.

3 the drain is just below the surface I have a 90 on the end

OP
OP
T

Twistedreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And thanks for the tip on the auto shut off. Will definitely be looking into one

OP
OP
T

Twistedreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed when I was in the sump that the miceo bubbles are getting water and salt creep all over. Tomorrow I'm redoing the plumbing and going to attach flex PVC to the overflow box and try to get it straight down into the sump. No corners or anything

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I replumbed today and made the overflow plumbing a straight shot to the sump. No corners or anything. It pretty much is running silently.
If you decide to redo the plumbing for any reason and go back to hard pipe, use 45s if possible. 90s are never a good thing when it comes to waterflow and noise. Using 45s when I set up or reset tanks made a world of difference over a 90, especially if using a durso, or HOB overflow.

OP
OP
T

Twistedreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely will keep that in mind. I had grabbed a 45 just incase I couldn't make the flex PVC go straight down. But thankfully I was able to.

OP
OP
T

Twistedreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am now getting a loud gurgling noise every couple mintues. I have tried adjusting the air tube in my stockman standpipe

OP
OP
T

Twistedreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch the overflow box and see if it is flushing. If it is, you may need to adjust the flow of the return or the airflow to the drain.
Yea when it makes the noise every couple of minutes the water level in the overflow box goes down

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an overflow box and went through the exact process you are going through. I drilled small holes ( about 1 " below the top of the standpipe) in my standpipe so that the water going down would not create a syphon every few minutes which is what creates the flushing noise. I capped off the top of the standpipe and made a breather tube. Be careful when you drill the holes....too many and you will get the flushing noise again, too few and the water will rise in the overflow box and tank. I would drill one set of small holes around the standpipe and test it. Then keep adding holes until the drain is operating quietly. I also have a filter sleeve from eshopps from smaller overflow boxes that pretty much quieted the trickling sound. The sleeve also stops the holes from potentially getting plugged with macro algae which I have in my tank.

JasonAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to find a good place for this. Was maybe thinking about inside the stand but not sure
I am having a similar problem using pvc flex tubing. I have the custom aquarium overflow installed and twater takes an immediate 90 out of the back of the tank. This is causing a lot of noise. I am thinking of using pvc to see is that makes it more silent but will still have a 90 on top and another 90 on the bottom going into the sock. So is hard lined more quiet?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 33.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 61 32.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back