Love rock that is now dead… prep to re-seed?

Mitchell Plourde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I have a ton of rock that was once alive (years ago) but is now obviously dried. Is there any prep I would have to do before chucking it in a tank with a live rock to seed? This rock has been in buckets in my attic so no exposure to any moisture or elements for over 5 years. It was taken out of a tank and rinsed with freshwater and then put in said buckets a long time ago.

Thanks!
Mitch

deafasa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it went straight from an old tank and just rinsed and put away there was probably a lot of die off. I would soak it in some RO\DI water first.

Jeff

Upvote 0

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You think I would need to bleach? I feel like there’s nothing left living in it so this may be overkill no?
There is nothing living, but there might and probably is a lot of dead organic matter, which will start decomposing once you put it in a DT.
Bleach will oxidize organic matter and break down to smaller molecules, which can be rinsed and flushed away.
Alternatively, you could put rock in some container with salt water and aerate for few weeks.It will take longer and will probably require some water changes, but effect will be similar. Additionally your rock will be genuinely live now.

Upvote 0

deafasa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alternatively, you could put rock in some container with salt water and aerate for few weeks.It will take longer and will probably require some water changes, but effect will be similar. Additionally your rock will be genuinely live now.

Wouldn't that basically be cycling the rock? What ever dead material there is would start the ammonia cycle. I do agree this would be better. Rinsing it in RO\DI water will likely leave some of the dead organics.
Jeff

Upvote 0

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 168 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back