Low alkalinity

seeky007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

I have a new tank just water rock and sand I want to start the cycle I'm going to use Dr tims ammonia and fritz turbo start.i checked my alkalinity today and its at 6.0 using a hanna pocket checker is this normal. I thought it would be higher as I'm using redsea coral pro salt?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

I have a new tank just water rock and sand I want to start the cycle I'm going to use Dr tims ammonia and fritz turbo start.i checked my alkalinity today and its at 6.0 using a hanna pocket checker is this normal. I thought it would be higher as I'm using redsea coral pro salt?
Is your salinity low? Start with that and don’t really worry alk yet till you start adding corals down the line.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

I use Sea Chem reef buffer to keep mine up.

OP
OP
S

seeky007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• 17115651529657524300738235568700.jpg
    17115651529657524300738235568700.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 3

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is alarming I have just checked my ammonia and its at 2.50
When did you set the tank up? Your ammonia will steadily go up, then start to lower as your nitrites go up. Then as your nitrites srat to go down, your nitrates will go up, that is when your tank is cycled. Ammonia will get pretty high at first. Just check it daily. You will see the changes happening.

OP
OP
S

seeky007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When did you set the tank up? Your ammonia will steadily go up, then start to lower as your nitrites go up. Then as your nitrites srat to go down, your nitrates will go up, that is when your tank is cycled. Ammonia will get pretty high at first. Just check it daily. You will see the changes happening.
Iv had the tank set up for a while I started the redsea mature program but I read a bit about it as its not that good so iv decided to go with the ammonia source and fritz turbo .if I already have 2.50 amonia would I need to add the Dr tims as well with fritz turbo start or just add the turbo start?

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iv had the tank set up for a while I started the redsea mature program but I read a bit about it as its not that good so iv decided to go with the ammonia source and fritz turbo .if I already have 2.50 amonia would I need to add the Dr tims as well with fritz turbo start or just add the turbo start?
I would use one, or the other, not both.

BigMonkeyBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

Randy said:

"After a short time in seawater, a virgin calcium carbonate surface quickly attains a thin coating of Mg/CaCO3 (magnesian calcite) as magnesium pushes its way into and onto the crystal surface. Eventually, the surface contains a substantial amount of magnesium."

PH in this situation is the determining factor - want above 7.0 - I would add fresh sodium bicarbonate ( baking soda ) about 1/4 tsp per 20 gallons.

OP
OP
S

seeky007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy said:

"After a short time in seawater, a virgin calcium carbonate surface quickly attains a thin coating of Mg/CaCO3 (magnesian calcite) as magnesium pushes its way into and onto the crystal surface. Eventually, the surface contains a substantial amount of magnesium."

PH in this situation is the determining factor - want above 7.0 - I would add fresh sodium bicarbonate ( baking soda ) about 1/4 tsp per 20 gallons.
Thanks for the info I will look In to it

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back