Low alkalinity

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering about this, you can use baking soda ( Na+ bicarb) to raise your alk? you just add this to your RO/DI water prior to topping off? Also can someone explain to me how to keep my ALK up? I am also using the Reef builder to keep it up. I cannot test for mag right now as no one I know has a test kit and the LFS does not either. Anyway I am dosing the ALK one day and a couple later dosing the Calcium. Then I change the water on Friday or saturday. 10% of volume. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

its pretty much trial and error how much baking soda you need. i have added it to my topoff and i have also just disolved it in some tank water and put it in. once you get something that works for you you have to stick with the same routine or it will be out of whack.

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, if I were wanting to dose with the BRS calcium and ALK, I could just mix it into jugs and dose daily? Or would I need a dosing pump and reactor? I am trying to avoid these as I am low on space under the tank and around it ( it in the dining room). just wondering. Thanks!

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, if I were wanting to dose with the BRS calcium and ALK, I could just mix it into jugs and dose daily? Or would I need a dosing pump and reactor? I am trying to avoid these as I am low on space under the tank and around it ( it in the dining room). just wondering. Thanks!

you can do either. just be sure to not dose without knowing what your tank needs.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back