low nitrates!!!!

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tested my water parameters today. have amazing news!!
nitrites are at 0-0.1 (salifert)

when I had my last tank, I could never get my nitrates below 40-50, EVER!! no matter what I did,
The tank did really well, and I learned to live with it. I didn't expect anything different this time around, with this different tank.

my nitrites finally hit 0, or pretty darn close. decided to test nitrates with my Hanna checker....they came in at 7.3!!!!! what the heck!!! HOWWWWWWW? only I would question that. I tested the water 3 times, same reading each time. that makes me happy

I think I can now add CUC's without worrying about high nitrites killing them off. :p

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tested my water parameters today. have amazing news!!
nitrites are at 0-0.1 (salifert)

when I had my last tank, I could never get my nitrates below 40-50, EVER!! no matter what I did,
The tank did really well, and I learned to live with it. I didn't expect anything different this time around, with this different tank.

my nitrites finally hit 0, or pretty darn close. decided to test nitrates with my Hanna checker....they came in at 7.3!!!!! what the heck!!! HOWWWWWWW? only I would question that. I tested the water 3 times, same reading each time. that makes me happy

I think I can now add CUC's without worrying about high nitrites killing them off. :p
High nitrites would not have killed anything... This is saltwater, not fresh.

OP
OP
reef tank 2.0

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but, when looking at the breakdown for inverts ( on live aquaria), it says they are very sensitive to high nitrites. Although they never give an exact number, it concerns me if my test numbers are too high.

That's where that concern comes from

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but, when looking at the breakdown for inverts ( on live aquaria), it says they are very sensitive to high nitrites. Although they never give an exact number, it concerns me if my test numbers are too high.

Check out this article - Nitrite and the Reef Aquarium - Clownfish nitrites are toxic over 300ppm and some inverts below 75ppm. Compared to fresh water at 1.5 - 60 range for many.

Nitrites are generally not worried about in marine aquariums.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There's zero evidence that any marine organisms are hurt by nitrite at any level reefers attain.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back