beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
beaslbob said:
To me this is the bottom line.

1) if you use macro algaes or other plant life to get nitrates unmeasureable.

and

2) dose the diy 2 part to keep parameters in line. (as opposed to driping kalk which raises the pH).

You can ignore pH.

my .02
Not quite sure I understand you here?

I'm sure you understood what I said but I can understand your not understanding the why.

1) if you get macro algaes thriving such that nitrates are unmeasureable you also have sucked out the carbon dioxide. Which raises the pH.

2) if you diy the two part you have build up the kh which reduces the lights out pH drop.

I was just trying to keep it simple.

my .02

Last edited:

kingfisherfleshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure you understood what I said but I can understand your not understanding the why.

1) if you get macro algaes thriving such that nitrates are unmeasureable you also have sucked out the carbon dioxide. Which raises the pH.

2) if you diy the two part you have build up the kh which reduces the lights out pH drop.

I was just trying to keep it simple.

my .02

Okay thanks...my nitrates are unmeasureable though...and my pH is at 7.8 or lower...

What do you think made the PH drop ?? How old is your tank ??

This tank has been up and running since i was twelve...substrate changes, filtration changes, addition of rock, and one tank change are the only real differences.

Also, Ive been researching the baking soda idea, and almost everything Ive read suggests that although baking soda can get your pH and alk up quickly, it also lends itself to big swings...and I would rather be stably low rather than all over the place. I wish there was just a safe conventional way for me to raise the alk and pH.

ReeferRob

Give me your Brains!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will be fine. Thousands of people use those receipes and they work great. For me I can get a .3 swing in pH just by opening the window in the living room for a few hours!!

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine goes from 7.9 to 8.1....... No biggie really if it's stable IMO. The corals will adjust accordingly... I had one week it ran at 8.4 to 8.53 which started to worry me but it burned out and all is well again....I dose brightwells 2 part...

Back