Lowering alk help

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been able to keep basically all of my parameters of my tank's water in good condition except alk! I have spikes and drops and im not sure why. Right now my alk is 11.2 and some of my lps colonies are acting pretty upset. I did a water change 3 days ago,my alk was 10smtn and then after taking out 10gal my alk went up. Needlesss to say im ordering an auto doser very very soon. I just need help for the time being.

How can I lower alk?

subielover

Renegade reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the alkalinity of your make-up (fresh water change) water? What are you dosing, and what are your other parameters?

OP
OP
KLR

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk on the first part,I realized after the test that I did not check the water going in the tank this time,but this has been going before that aswell. Im using Seachem Reef Buffer to raise PH and Alk atm.

Other pars are

PH-8.4
Nitrate-0
Phos-0
Nitrite-0
Mag-1400
Salinity-1.025

Last edited:

soccerbag

Chalices did this to me!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kelby, your Ca and Mag are good. Just let the alk come down slowly on it's own. Hold off on water changes and just let it come down naturally. You don't want to add any extra shock to your corals. I would hold off on the Seachem and your Alk should come down in a week or so. Once it gets down to where you want it, get that doser you mentioned, and automate it. It will be the best money you ever spent. While you're getting the doser tuned in, I would check your alk everyday to ensure you are getting the right amount in the tank.

I would not try any drastic changes to lower it though. Hope that makes sense : ).

OP
OP
KLR

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I understand,how long does it usually take for a tank to naturally lower itself? this is a 40 gal.
I plan on ordering the doser this week!

soccerbag

Chalices did this to me!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say Kelby. I have never run a tank that small (I don't mean for that to sound as snobby as it does...lol) but I'm sure it depends on how many corals you have in there. I would test everyday - you should notice a slight drop everyday. Where do you typically keep your alk? It could drop as quickly as a day or two but I'm guessing it will take a few days at least. I would also test your makeup water to get a better idea of where your new salt water parameters are. That is something you need to take into account when setting up your doser and performing water changes.

I dealt with alk spikes and dips for a year. Once I was able to stabilize my core parameters with 2-part and a dosing system, the changes were amazing. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

OP
OP
KLR

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok,it doesnt sound snobby I would have a bigger tank if I had room,lol. I have ALOT of corals in there...I try to keep it between 8 and 10,would like 8 and 9 but that is near impossible for me...

I will probably pm you once I actually have the doser.

caudill187

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kelby, as mentioned, I would just skip a few Alk doses, keep dosing Calcium and Mg. It should come down steadily on its own in a week max. I wouldn't want to decrease it quickly, even if it was 20.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can lower it 1dKH with 1ml of muratic acid per 20gal. It will take about 12 hours total.

Seriously? You're suggesting lowering the alkalinity with hydrochloric acid? What about the pH? I would never suggest lowering alkalinity that quickly, especially with the number of high-end chalices KLR has! Don't mean to be rude, but have you done this yourself?

KLR- you should definitely figure out what your alkalinity is on your makeup water and go from there.

CJ

DAV3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have done this method myself. You will have a ph drop istantly but within about 3-6hrs your ph will raise back up to normal and you alk is then lowered. What do you think people did before we had all the over priced fancy names for chemicals. If he has something that is very expensive I wouldnt do it but it does work. Unless your seeing corals die off then I wouldnt worry too much about it. I had over 100 snails die because of a od of reef builder witched had my dkh up to 20 and I lowered it with muratic acid. It worked well and fast. You can also use white vinegar but it takes longer and it makes your water milky. But yes CJ it does work, and I have done it myself. I thought my friend was crazy when he told me that because its such a stong acid but I listened to him since hes got his masters in marine biology and is also the head curator at the museum.

Reefhabit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kelby, your Ca and Mag are good. Just let the alk come down slowly on it's own. Hold off on water changes and just let it come down naturally. You don't want to add any extra shock to your corals. I would hold off on the Seachem and your Alk should come down in a week or so. Once it gets down to where you want it, get that doser you mentioned, and automate it. It will be the best money you ever spent. While you're getting the doser tuned in, I would check your alk everyday to ensure you are getting the right amount in the tank.

I would not try any drastic changes to lower it though. Hope that makes sense : ).

Yeah I agree as well.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whoa my post sounded rude... but I didnt mean for it to be rude. Just some background info thats all.

That's OK, mine did a little too. No harm, no foul.

However, IMO, an Alk of 11 is no reason to do anything drastic.

CJ

DAV3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah 11 is ok. One of my friends keeps his at 11 and has no problems. I think corals have more problem with the sudden increase than the slow increase in alk. I know for a fact snails dont like it at all and which creates a domino effect if they all die one day. With the alk at only 11dkh I personally would just let it drop on it on and save some money(ie no dosing) if the corals dont die from it(which the probably wont) its only going to make them hardier. But then again Im not a coral on human. When I die I want to come back as a coral, so that people will look at me and say I look awesome, with my luck Ill come back as a xenia and everyone will still hate me. lol

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL.. Good luck on that! I'd probably come back as some common brown polyp that an aquariast will try to kill.

CJ

Tyrrell109

Wet Behind The Ears
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine dropped from 18ish to reg. in about 3-4 weeks when i first started the 14Bc. yours should drop within a week.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 43 22.9%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 109 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back