Lowering pH

bheld1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pH is a little high and I was just wondering how to lower it. I would assume doing a few large water changes would do the trick but wanted to ask the more experienced people on here. I also have a pH buffer, but I believe that only raises the pH? Thanks for your input

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How high is it?

OP
OP
bheld1

bheld1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my API kit was reading 8.8 and I don't run kalk or calcium yet. I just recently started dosing calcium but only twice over the past two weeks and at the recommended dosage.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How are your corals reacting to it? How old is the test kit?

AlexStinson

Plankton
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my API kit was reading 8.8 and I don't run kalk or calcium yet. I just recently started dosing calcium but only twice over the past two weeks and at the recommended dosage.

API kits never seem to be relaible for me. And make sure you only dose what calcium you need... recommended dosage is moot. Test calcium... dose... test calcium... till you find what you need.

OP
OP
bheld1

bheld1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the kit is about 6 months old so it is fairly new...I've lost a trachy because of it, but everything else seems to be fine. I just want to solve the problem before it becomes a major problem. I've tested everything else, and the pH is the only thing that doesn't check out.

lightsluvr

Tangaroa to 500 gallons
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is a very rare situation, IME.

If you are using RO/DI water, your starting pH should be relatively low. Your salt mix shouldn't raise it anywhere near 8.8.

I would guess one of two things is happening; Either you've got some funky water to start with, or your test kit is crap.

Do you have access to a digital pH meter? Over the long haul, they are cheaper than test kits and can be calibrated over and over again using very inexpensive 7.01 and 10.01 test solutions...

Good luck and sorry about your lost coral...

LL

OP
OP
bheld1

bheld1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys for all the responses. I actually fixed the problem after doing research on the vinegar method. I still can't figure out how my pH was high, but everything is back to normal!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 16 22.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 53 74.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back