Lowest cost and easiest way to eliminate green hair, bubble, turf and slime algae from your aquarium

Young Frankenstein

I sniff ozone and relax.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is just a different type of mentality towards filtration. Some people think algae is a nuisance and do all they can to eradicate every last little bit of it. Others choose to utilize the algae and put it to work for them in the location of their choosing instead of fighting it in the display.

I used to think like the first, but after many years of doing it that way my wallet finally said enough was enough. Constant $ on water changes, GFO, and various other equipment. That method does work fine, it just requires a lot of equipment and $ in the long run. With utilizing algae you get some great benefits to your filtration. One of my tanks has only run an algae scrubber since day 1 and it is doing great.

Personally I don't think using algae is the end all / be all method to filtration, I do think other filtration methods should still be utilized along with an algae scrubber, but for the cost vs benefit aspect of them they can't be beat. I used to think a skimmer was the most important piece to a reef tank, now I think they are the least important, and utilizing algae is the best, cheapest, and most natural way to keep water quality good. I used to use caulerpa in the past, and it worked great, but there are worries that come with using that. Cheato works also, but from my experience doesn't grow fast enough to keep up with most tanks, even moderately feeding. Since I switched to using algae scrubbers I can feed more food to my tank than my wallet likes. I go through 10 packs of cubed frozen food + 2 large packs of rods every month on my 75G. I was actually against algae scrubbers at first, I made one to prove they didn't work, but to my surprise they ended up working better than I could have imagined.
Ace i disagree with you :) without the skimmer there is no reef tank :) where your ph would be without it?, you would need a scrubber bigger than your tank

Ace25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ace i disagree with you :) without the skimmer there is no reef tank :) where your ph would be without it?, you would need a scrubber bigger than your tank

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. As I said, I once thought that same way, but all the articles from AdvancedAquarist showing skimmers don't function nearly as well as we thought has made me change my mind to the point I no longer use them, and notice 0 difference on my tank that used to run a Bubble Magus NAC7 skimmer. Here is one of my tanks.. and my filtration, since day 1. ;) No pH problems at all. I have a heater, 2 pumps (algae scrubber pump and return pump), and a bag of purigen in my sump, that is all I use for filtration.
6790572336_20f9907771_z.jpg

5910380596_603228e88f.jpg

WesF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ace I hope you don't take this as an insult because your tank looks very nice but I consider all of your corals "easy" and can do well even in "dirty" tanks.

Are there any full blown SPS tanks thriving with the no skimmer/turf scrubber method?

Honestly curious, not antagonistic.

Ace25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are correct, the corals in that tank above are all considered "easy" corals. Here is my other tank that is also run by the same filtration with one difference, the addition of some type of phosphate control. This tank is older and used to be run using a skimmer and GFO/Rox Carbon before I switched a few years ago. There are many people that have nice SPS tanks using scrubbers, most of them can be found on the scubber thread on RC, but for SPS tanks other filtration methods are required (ie. some extra form of phosphate control). Last month I ran out of GFO and let me tank go with "scubber only" and my phosphates went from .05 up to .41 in 30 days simply by not using a secondary method to control phosphates, nitrates were still a solid 0 though.

7219058148_7e8267cf1f_c.jpg

Closeup of a coral on the frag rack on the right hand side.
7213195194_93c9bf6be1_z.jpg

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Of course there is a reef tank without skimmers, mighty successful ones I might add.

Steve Tyree runs his system without a skimmer. I'd say he's been pretty successful. I'm sure you've heard of him.

Opening a window has a bigger impact on my pH than my skimmer does. Meaning, the air coming in contact with the water surface is plenty to control pH.

Ace - Beautiful tank and nice work!

spscrazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ace I like the box you have your scrubber in can you tell me where you got it how much etc thanks

Ace25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ace I like the box you have your scrubber in can you tell me where you got it how much etc thanks
The "box" is just a standard 20G tall tank that I painted black all the way around and use as a sump. Here is what the algae scrubber looks like outside of the sump.

Edit: Forgot to mention, Petco is having their $1/gallon sale now, so you can pick one up for $20.

5910380562_5b9217ea52.jpg

Last edited:

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The "box" is just a standard 20G tall tank that I painted black all the way around and use as a sump. Here is what the algae scrubber looks like outside of the sump.

Edit: Forgot to mention, Petco is having their $1/gallon sale now, so you can pick one up for $20.

5910380562_5b9217ea52.jpg

Love this design. Hope you don't mind if i copy it someday...currently my algae scrubber is the back wall of my tank :tongue:

I run no skimmer on my 20 long mixed reef. You don't "need" a skimmer, but it doesn't really hurt to have that extra bit of insurance for your tank.

I think they are considered "necessary" by a lot of reefers b/c it is a device that all beginners are told that they can not do without. For all practical reasons, that statement is way more true than false, although people can run healthy systems without one.

Young Frankenstein

I sniff ozone and relax.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are certainly entitled to your opinion. As I said, I once thought that same way, but all the articles from AdvancedAquarist showing skimmers don't function nearly as well as we thought has made me change my mind to the point I no longer use them, and notice 0 difference on my tank that used to run a Bubble Magus NAC7 skimmer. Here is one of my tanks.. and my filtration, since day 1. ;) No pH problems at all. I have a heater, 2 pumps (algae scrubber pump and return pump), and a bag of purigen in my sump, that is all I use for filtration.
6790572336_20f9907771_z.jpg

5910380596_603228e88f.jpg
Ace change your nic name to "against all odds " LOL i like that, i am the same way, but as stated bellow my friend those are easy corals :) Anyway can you post a link for the article ? i would like to read that. Steadty 8.2+PH in my book = lighting, aeration

Ace25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are you using ace for inflow & outflow??
Tank 1 "easy corals" uses cheap pumps, I think an old 700GPH catalina pump for the scrubber and a 700GPH ViaAqua pump for the return.
Tank 2 "SPS corals" uses my overflow to feed the Algae scrubber, return pump I use is an eheim 1262 in a 55G sump, pictures below.

5638737141_a2826da600_z.jpg

6267306909_8569edc301.jpg

Pkunk35: Let's just agree to disagree on skimmers. I really don't feel like getting into a skimmer debate in this thread. I have seen the proof both from scientific studies as well as first hand, I know skimmers are almost pointless, but that is not to say they are harmful. If you have one, run it, if you don't have one though, no reason to buy one IMO because a small bag of ROX carbon will remove well over 80% of the bad stuff from the water, where as a skimmer is lucky to remove 35% of the same stuff, meaning carbon is over 2x better than a skimmer at removing the same bad stuff. Skimmers do help if you overfeed and want to remove the larger food particles out of the water quickly, but as long as you don't overfeed to the point your system can't handle it, then I would rather let the food move around freely in the tank as long as possible in order to feed the tank, not feed the skimmer.

Young Frankenstein

I sniff ozone and relax.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course there is a reef tank without skimmers, mighty successful ones I might add.

Steve Tyree runs his system without a skimmer. I'd say he's been pretty successful. I'm sure you've heard of him.

Opening a window has a bigger impact on my pH than my skimmer does. Meaning, the air coming in contact with the water surface is plenty to control pH.

Ace - Beautiful tank and nice work!
hmmmmmmmm Steve Tyree ..........is Steve Tyree and yes after seting up his sponge refugiums and whatever clever setup he has it probably works :) but we want to do thinks very efficient and long term, also not too complicated if possible. Post a link for his skimmerless tank if you please :)

Young Frankenstein

I sniff ozone and relax.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are correct, the corals in that tank above are all considered "easy" corals. Here is my other tank that is also run by the same filtration with one difference, the addition of some type of phosphate control. This tank is older and used to be run using a skimmer and GFO/Rox Carbon before I switched a few years ago. There are many people that have nice SPS tanks using scrubbers, most of them can be found on the scubber thread on RC, but for SPS tanks other filtration methods are required (ie. some extra form of phosphate control). Last month I ran out of GFO and let me tank go with "scubber only" and my phosphates went from .05 up to .41 in 30 days simply by not using a secondary method to control phosphates, nitrates were still a solid 0 though.

7219058148_7e8267cf1f_c.jpg

Closeup of a coral on the frag rack on the right hand side.
7213195194_93c9bf6be1_z.jpg
Stll easy corals :) and if you went fish-less you probably would not need an algae scrubber either :) you dont have heavy livestock :) sorry :)

Ace25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh? You asked me for a link to the article explaining skimmers, and I did. You asked someone else for a link to Steve Tyree's tank, not me. ;) I have no idea what Steve uses.

Anyway can you post a link for the article ? i would like to read that. Steadty 8.2+PH in my book = lighting, aeration

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back