LPS Frogspawn not extending?

alishasreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LPS Frogspawn use to be beautiful and extended flowing in the current, it’s now super withdrawn.

Any advice?

Parameters
PH 8.0
nitrite 0
nitrate 1.1ppm
Phosphate INV error (Hanna Instruments: advised it means i’m around 0, phosphates too low for the test to pick up)
ammonia 0
alk 8.4 dKH
calc 390 ppm
mag 1400 ppm

D59316BA-6E17-4AE2-B2B8-B6048053DBFA.jpeg

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had it? With 0 PO4 and low nitrate it may be slowly starving.

OP
OP
alishasreef

alishasreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had it? With 0 PO4 and low nitrate it may be slowly starving.
Can’t say for sure prehaps half a year, nearing a year. I do have reef roids, maybe i should feed heavier for the frogspawn?

I have a branching hammer than I have had for longer which is extended and colourful.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the above. Your corals are starving to death. LPS need nitrates at 10 and phosphate at .05 to .1. The effects of no nutrients can take months for coral to show. They wither away from the inside out. Reef roids is like a vitamin but unless you have nutrients in thevwater column corals don't survive.

OP
OP
alishasreef

alishasreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the above. Your corals are starving to death. LPS need nitrates at 10 and phosphate at .05 to .1. The effects of no nutrients can take months for coral to show. They wither away from the inside out. Reef roids is like a vitamin but unless you have nutrients in thevwater column corals don't survive.
Hmmm, everywhere online seems to state 1-10 ppm?

It also has many small new heads growing on its skeleton, surely it wouldn’t be reproducing new heads if starving?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, everywhere online seems to state 1-10 ppm?

It also has many small new heads growing on its skeleton, surely it wouldn’t be reproducing new heads if starving?
good luck with that. Your frog wont be the last I'm sure with almost zero nutrients in the tank. LPS prefer dirty water.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what ppm do you recommend.
Nitrates at 10 which is typically achieved by feeding more or maybe dose neonitro. Phosphate at .05 to .1. Typically see Phosphate number rise with coral aminos like Red Sea AB plus or reef roids. Phosphate can come up also by feeding pellets or dosing neophos. I had to double dose neophos and neonitro when my tank was young to get readable numbers. My LPS struggled greatly when my nutrients were to low.

SillyReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is filtration? Heavy skimmer GFO Carbon can be bad. I would keep the same numbers before issues. Cyano/dyno can cause issues as well which covers all surfaces in something you cannot see.

CypherSloth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, as mentioned, nutrients may be a contributing factor. When you see 0, it can be that you produce some, but it’s being “consumed” so much that it trends to zero even when produced in large quantities if you have the processing power in your tank to reduce it. Try to achieve a balance that your coral does not have to compete more to eat properly essentially

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 11 9.8%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 48 42.9%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 52 46.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back