LPS struggle

MangoSentinels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reefers,

Please bear with me, im really aggravated with my reef right now. I have been having major issues keeping LPS successfully in my system. I've been reefing for over 10 years and this is my second tank. My first tank was a 24 Gal JBJ Nanocube. I had about 20 pounds of live rock in that system and kept colonies of euphyllia (specifically frogspawn) rather easily; I just set it and forget it and all of my corals thrived. That system crashed when I went away on vacation, and an unexpected heat wave had hit on the one day that my tank sitter was off duty. I took some time away from reefing after that crash and sold the tank and the rockwork.

About 2 years later I got a 50 gal SCA all in one with a 25 Gal sump. This time around live rock was difficult to get a hold of in my area; so I opted for 45 lbs of seeded dry rock. I've had this system running for about 5 years now and cannot sustain a single LPS for the life of me. I've lost a torch, elegance coral and now currently have a hammer that is unhappy. It's not receding to the point that it shows skeleton but it definitely isn't fully extending and has gotten progressively worse despite me having the right parameters. I have copepods seeded into this system for biodiversity which I didn't in my original tank but yet I still have no luck with LPS, the only thing to thrive has been a colt leather coral. The only discernable difference from then to now imo has been the change from lice rock to dry rock but I could be wrong about that. Can anyone please advise on what I should do?

Alkalinity: 10.8
Calcium: 450ppm
Nitrate: 5 ppm
Phosphate: 0.27 ppm
PH: 8.2
Salinity: 1.025

Wavemaker: Jebao Gyre SCP 90M
Lighting: Kessil A260W
Filtration: Refugium with Chaetomorpha. Media reactor with Rox carbon. Protein skimmer.

1000045250.jpg

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alkalinity is high, phosphate is high too

Are you adding anything to keep alk at that level?

I have an lps dominant tank,
Alk 8 - 8.5
Nitrate 3-5
Phosphate .02
Salinity 1.026

What light as you using ?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many elegance corals just go south all of a sudden.
I would not use it as an indicator of something wrong.

It’s a 5 year old system, maybe something in the metals category has built up?

Do you do small water changes frequently?

Maybe a complete water change and/or ICP would help.

OP
OP
M

MangoSentinels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alkalinity is high, phosphate is high too

Are you adding anything to keep alk at that level?

I have an lps dominant tank,
Alk 8 - 8.5
Nitrate 3-5
Phosphate .02
Salinity 1.026

What light as you using ?
Kessil A260W.

I am using all for reef to keep Alk at that level.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My flow in general is pretty low.
so how low is pretty low? Corals still need some amount of flow to stay clean, bring nutrients, etc...

There is nothing in your parameters that will cause all lps corals to die, so I'm thinking it is related to light or flow, either too much or too little (I am thinking too little)

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree this seems like a lighting or flow issue

And while I don’t see a negative from alk 10+ it’s not needed for lps and I would suggest lowering to 9

OP
OP
M

MangoSentinels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so how low is pretty low? Corals still need some amount of flow to stay clean, bring nutrients, etc...

There is nothing in your parameters that will cause all lps corals to die, so I'm thinking it is related to light or flow, either too much or too little (I am thinking too little)
I keep my flow on the Gyre at about 50%. My lighting peaks at 40% intensity for about 8 hours before it ramps down on a Kessil A260W.
IMG_20240505_174704.jpg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone that uses metal hallide (for 9.5 hours per day), 40% led lighting seems low to me. Have you ever rented a par meter? Might want to think about it if you have not. Of all the info you posted, the lighting looks like the only weak point that I see, I would start there.

monfilsi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read that some leathers release toxins such as terpenoids as part of their chemical warfare that irritate other corals and inhibit growth. Might want to consider adding carbon filter to absorb the toxins.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone that uses metal hallide (for 9.5 hours per day), 40% led lighting seems low to me. Have you ever rented a par meter? Might want to think about it if you have not. Of all the info you posted, the lighting looks like the only weak point that I see, I would start there.

Depends on the fixture. 40% is what I use on my photon leds and it’s plenty of power for a par range of 100 sandbed to 300 top of rockwork

OP
OP
M

MangoSentinels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never rented a PAR meter. Will def look into that. What do you suggest in terms of where the intensity should be?

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as mentioned the light sounds to be on the low side, is that Kessil 260 supposed to be 360?
If single 360 at 40% on 50gal tank that sounds bit light. Just my opinion.

Also the rock after 5 years looks really white. Is Coralline algae growing or any other pest algae growing?

Based on the PO4 and NO3 values I would expect to see something on the rocks.
Maybe your fuge is too efficient and some essential trace element is depleted?

OP
OP
M

MangoSentinels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as mentioned the light sounds to be on the low side, is that Kessil 260 supposed to be 360?
If single 360 at 40% on 50gal tank that sounds bit light. Just my opinion.

Also the rock after 5 years looks really white. Is Coralline algae growing or any other pest algae growing?

Based on the PO4 and NO3 values I would expect to see something on the rocks.
Maybe your fuge is too efficient and some essential trace element is depleted?
My mistake, its a Kessil A160WE not a 260. That was an error on my part.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never rented a PAR meter. Will def look into that. What do you suggest in terms of where the intensity should be?
I don't know about your particular lights, but as mentioned above, 100 par on the sandbed and 300 up top the rocks is a good goal.

Some LFS's rent out the meters, there should be one in your area.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 44 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 158 73.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.7%
Back