Lux readings

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At peak intensity of 100% I am getting right at or just shy of 30,000 lux directly under the light. Overall it averages 15,000-25,000 most of the rest of the surface. It will drop off to 8-10,000 at the far corners.

I actually feel like these are generous readings. I wouldn't expect it to be that high, even at 100%. I've been running 100% for at least a couple weeks now (maybe 3) and nothing has gotten upset. This is partially why I feel those numbers are generous, but maybe I'm wrong.
How deep is this tank? I would almost guarantee that sps would be happier with 2 160 lights over a 360
with one he should be in the 500 par range peak or slightly better at the top of the tank. spread would become the issue in different spots.

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I picked up a lux meter just to see what kind of readings I actually get as I felt the lux app for the iphone wasn't giving an accurate reading.

At peak intensity of 100% I am getting right at or just shy of 30,000 lux directly under the light. Overall it averages 15,000-25,000 most of the rest of the surface. It will drop off to 8-10,000 at the far corners.

I actually feel like these are generous readings. I wouldn't expect it to be that high, even at 100%. I've been running 100% for at least a couple weeks now (maybe 3) and nothing has gotten upset. This is partially why I feel those numbers are generous, but maybe I'm wrong.

So, with plenty of surface agitation and the light probably 10" off the water and my sps 5-6" below the surface of the water am I in the ballpark for successful sps?

getting back on track, did you wind up getting a handheld meter?
That fixture "should" be fine for that tank.
What are your nutrints? No Po
and can we see the corals your not happy with.

See above quote from me regarding the meter readings. Those are at 100% intensity as stated. The light runs at 100% intensity for I believe 4 hours. Total on time is 11 hours, with the remaining 7 hours the ramp up/down period. So, when I checked with the lux meter at about 75% intensity this weekend, peak numbers were about 18,500. But, it drops off to about 9000 when you move slightly off center.

At last check this weekend NO3 was at 8 and PO4 was at .08

There are not corals I am unhappy with at this point, I just want to make sure I'm giving them what they need long term. No sps look bad, though perhaps colors could lighten a little, which suggests to me they could use more light.

How deep is this tank? I would almost guarantee that sps would be happier with 2 160 lights over a 360

Tank dimensions: 22.4" x 24.2" x 20.8" All sps are in the upper 1/3 of the tank. The light is probably 10" off the surface of the water.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are not corals I am unhappy with at this point, I just want to make sure I'm giving them what they need long term. No sps look bad, though perhaps colors could lighten a little, which suggests to me they could use more light.
Id say your fine. More light or just slightly less nutrints. that's the balance. IMO IME. If it were a t5 or mh with no dimmer you would balance nutrints to the amount of light, now knowing you have enough light. Its the dimmer that becomes confusing to most I think.

fwiw my Lights are on from 6am to 10 pm. peak lighting is only 8 hrs. the first 2 and last 2 hrs are well under 1000 lux at the top. Under 100 prob for the first and last hours actually.

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PO4 levels have been coming down as of late, so a little lower there wouldn't hurt, though they aren't bad as they sit, IME. NO3 could also be lower, but that seems to stay pretty consistent where it is, so I'm skeptical I can consistently lower it more as things stand now.

I am wondering if perhaps I should extend my lighting period a little, so that I can get a couple more hours at peak intensity.

Seems the upgrade to the 360 is probably at my discretion. May be fine as is, but upgrading wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing either.

I am starting to look into a larger tank as well, that once pulled together would most likely be the main focus for the sps rather than this small tank. So, it's also a matter of how much resources (i.e. money) to put into this tank to cater to the sps.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PO4 levels have been coming down as of late, so a little lower there wouldn't hurt, though they aren't bad as they sit, IME. NO3 could also be lower, but that seems to stay pretty consistent where it is, so I'm skeptical I can consistently lower it more as things stand now.

I am wondering if perhaps I should extend my lighting period a little, so that I can get a couple more hours at peak intensity.

Seems the upgrade to the 360 is probably at my discretion. May be fine as is, but upgrading wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing either.

I am starting to look into a larger tank as well, that once pulled together would most likely be the main focus for the sps rather than this small tank. So, it's also a matter of how much resources (i.e. money) to put into this tank to cater to the sps.
yup. your on the right track.
fwiw I have a little bit of everying in my tank. its not all happy at the same time some days.

lil funny. I have some zoas growing on an sps. both look great. I dont know why.

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swapped out the 160 for a 360w just a little bit ago. Took new lux readings. They are no higher than they were with the 160, just don't drop off as much at the edges of the tank.

Can this be so?

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It'll show the kessils par at 2' and you can compare it to different lights they have listed.

http://www.aquaillumination.com/science/par.html

IMG_1841.PNG

Last edited:

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swapped out the 160 for a 360w just a little bit ago. Took new lux readings. They are no higher than they were with the 160, just don't drop off as much at the edges of the tank.

Can this be so?
yes, you have better spread. thats a good thing.

if your running about 350 par mid to upper tank, thats really kinda overkill beyond that unless you really want to play with light. A radion will give you about 12oo par at 12 in.

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, you have better spread. thats a good thing.

if your running about 350 par mid to upper tank, thats really kinda overkill beyond that unless you really want to play with light. A radion will give you about 12oo par at 12 in.

I would think the 360 is certainly sufficient. But, according to that link I find it interesting numbers for the 160 vs the 360 are not much different but watt usage per light is double with the 360.

The Radion blows both lights out of the water for amount of light emitted it seems. Which is impressive.

I've knocked the 360 back to peaking at 75% now vs the 100% of the 160. Not really sure where to adjust it to so will have to play it by ear. Like I said, the lux values didn't really seem to change much with the 360. But, something tells me they had to increase somewhat.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ccording to that link I find it interesting numbers for the 160 vs the 360 are not much different but watt usage per light is double with the 360.
yea dunno. could be lenses. it takes more light to spread over and area than focus on one spot. I find it frustrating is all guess work w kessil.

The Radion blows both lights out of the water for amount of light emitted it seems. Which is impressive.
a mars aqua and sbreeflight and ai sol do the same btw.

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea dunno. could be lenses. it takes more light to spread over and area than focus on one spot. I find it frustrating is all guess work w kessil.

a mars aqua and sbreeflight and ai sol do the same btw.

I wonder why it's such guesswork with the Kessil? Just nature of that particular beast?

Also, I think probably any light out performs the Kessil according to that link. lol

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder why it's such guesswork with the Kessil? Just nature of that particular beast?

Also, I think probably any light out performs the Kessil according to that link. lol
they dont post ANY DATA>>>>AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Re-took some lux readings at max intensity of 85% on the A360 and got right around 20,000 right under the light. Where the sps are positioned it was closer to 15,000. I turned up the 360 to 100% and am now getting 37,000 give or take a few thousand depending and angled the light so max output is more where the sps are positioned.

Is this too much? 100% intensity (for 4 hours currently I think) in the light cycle on a BC29 seems too much...

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Re-took some lux readings at max intensity of 85% on the A360 and got right around 20,000 right under the light. Where the sps are positioned it was closer to 15,000. I turned up the 360 to 100% and am now getting 37,000 give or take a few thousand depending and angled the light so max output is more where the sps are positioned.

Is this too much? 100% intensity (for 4 hours currently I think) in the light cycle on a BC29 seems too much...

I wouldn't just do a quick jump on the lights. Need to acclimate. Also if the 37k was max right under the light it's hard if it's too much unless we know how far away the corals are from it.

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't just do a quick jump on the lights. Need to acclimate. Also if the 37k was max right under the light it's hard if it's too much unless we know how far away the corals are from it.

Yeah, I will watch as far as acclimation. Typically I can bump by 10% with no negative reaction from the corals. That said, I might back it off slightly and bump by 5% every couple weeks until I hit 100%.

Light is probably 12" off the water and sps are 4-6" from surface of the water by my estimation.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah, I will watch as far as acclimation. Typically I can bump by 10% with no negative reaction from the corals. That said, I might back it off slightly and bump by 5% every couple weeks until I hit 100%.

Light is probably 12" off the water and sps are 4-6" from surface of the water by my estimation.
yup, id just watch how fast you increase intensity.
an estimate.
20k lux/60(constant)=333par
37k lux / 60 = 616 par.

so.......3,000 is 50 par.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back