Lymphocystis transmissible?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that it is but I'm not entirely sure how it would be transmitted from fish to fish. You can think of it like a cold sore in humans. It's a virus that most fish seem to carry anyway and it rears its ugly head when conditions let it. It seems to be most prevalent in butterflies but I've seen it is several other species. Oh and when I say ugly head I just mean that it's ugly not that it's dangerous, in most cases it's not dangerous and will go away with good nutrition and environmental conditions.

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is contagious. I believe only through direct contact on an open wound (like warts) so it won't spread rapidly.

OP
OP
ImGood

ImGood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe I have a clown with lymphocystis in a 20g qt with a Mandy, puffer , wrasse & goby, they are day 3 in ridik treatment the clown has developed these ever increasing in size wary like nodules on its belly, and port side gill, after this they will be treated with prazipro, but I'm not able to find out if ther is a treatment, I have to assume all the fish are infected

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no treatment for lymph. I'd like to see a picture of these nodules. They could be something me, humblefish and tahoe have been looking into recently. If it's what I'm thinking, you'll need a different treatment to cure him.

OP
OP
ImGood

ImGood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no treatment for lymph. I'd like to see a picture of these nodules. They could be something me, humblefish and tahoe have been looking into recently. If it's what I'm thinking, you'll need a different treatment to cure him.

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe I have a clown with lymphocystis in a 20g qt with a Mandy, puffer , wrasse & goby, they are day 3 in ridik treatment the clown has developed these ever increasing in size wary like nodules on its belly, and port side gill, after this they will be treated with prazipro, but I'm not able to find out if ther is a treatment, I have to assume all the fish are infected
No cure. High quality foods and water. Low levels of stress and the nodules tend to go away. Best to assume all fish he comes into contact with carry the virus. It generally stays dormant. When active it is 99% cosmetic

OP
OP
ImGood

ImGood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to get some pics, getting the subject to cooperat ...... This could be awhile.

OP
OP
ImGood

ImGood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darn. It's not clear enough to see it well.

OP
OP
ImGood

ImGood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is something different, which treatment path should l take?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like Lymph alright. So clean water, healthy foods with vitamin supplements added in and it should go away on it's own. Watch to be sure it does grow over his gills or mouth preventing him to breathe or eat.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is transmissible and can even grow over internal organs. :eek: More info below and here: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa181
Lymphocystis is spread by fish-to-fish contact or contact with infected tissues. External trauma from spawning, aggression, parasites, or handling can facilitate infection and spread. In addition, crowding, shipping, and other stressors appear to trigger disease outbreaks. Lymphocystis does not appear to be spread by vertical transmission (i.e., from parents to offspring via infection of eggs or sperm).

Fish may also be infected with lymphocystis without having obvious lesions that are visible with the naked eye. These fish may have smaller infected cells or may have one or more internal organs infected (e.g., inside the eye, spleen, or other organs). Lymphocystis, in these cases, may only be seen after microscopic examination of a wet mount (fresh) biopsy of suspected infected tissues, or by using more advanced techniques such as histopathology, electron microscopy, or molecular methods.

OP
OP
ImGood

ImGood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks HF. I actually had just been checking that link out ,thanks again

OP
OP
ImGood

ImGood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is going into the isolation suite, it had a fw dip 2 days ago would it be prudent to do another fw or a parguard dip prior to the isolation?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is going into the isolation suite, it had a fw dip 2 days ago would it be prudent to do another fw or a parguard dip prior to the isolation?

If you are just worried about Lympho, none of those treatments will do any good. Maintaining pristine water conditions and feeding vitamin enriched foods (Selcon, Zoecon, Vita-chem) will help more.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 28 36.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 31.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back