Lyretail Anthias

Kyle Sicard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everybody,
I'm pretty sure I know the answer but I wanted to get others feedback on Lyretail Anthias. I originally purchased 3 females about a year ago. I QT'd them for 5 weeks and they did great for a few months. Then 1 of them turned male. After about 6 months of having them I noticed the male and the bigger female were picking on the smallest female who eventually perished around the 7-8 month mark. Today (1 year from purchase) I noticed my female has gone missing. I'm guessing the nice large male picked on the remaining female to much and she also perished.

what I want feedback on is if I purchase more females will I have the same experience if say I added 4 females for a total of 5 lyretails? The tank is a 120g. I'd like to keep a group of them but I don't want to do it if they are going to slowly pick off the females over time.

RJ Harris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The female that is always lowest ranking will always get picked on to the point of death by the dominant female. And if you add more all the others will follow suite and pick on the lowest one and once she dies the next one from the lowest will be picked on. I've read multiple sites saying this. I ordered 3 females and a make and I now have 2 females and a male the 2 wouldn't allow the 3rd female to eat and kept nipping her until she died. My 2 females and 1 male are doing great the 2 females are always together and rarely pick on each other and the male could care less what is happening

OP
OP
Kyle Sicard

Kyle Sicard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I jumped the gun, the female that I thought had died just came out of the rocks lol. But I would still like feedback on if I had a larger group would they not pick each other off?

RJ Harris, I know that they can do this but I'm wondering if having a large group then 3 would diffuse the aggression enough for them to coexist.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing some research on Anthias and came across this thread. Is this true of all anthias or just lyretail?
All anthias create a hierarchy, but lyretails and bartletts are more aggressive in how they establish it. Other species are less aggressive within their species.

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All anthias create a hierarchy, but lyretails and bartletts are more aggressive in how they establish it. Other species are less aggressive within their species.
All,

I currently have 3 small female Anthias in my 180g (Lyretail - 0.5inch, Flavogattus - 1inch, "Carberryi- 1 inch), all added 4 months ago. Since they're all tiny they've never bickered, nor has any shown aggression to my most docile firefish.

Today I saw a large, fully changed 3inch male Indian Ocean Lyretail. Never wanted to add a grown male Anthias, but this one is so vibrant I am tempted to.

Knowing each fish has its own personas, still want expert thoughts:

1. Since there is a such a big size difference and its added last, would it be more likely to ignore the other anthias?

2. Know lyretail males can be d1cks, you think it would likely pick on the other docile fish in my tank? I dont mind the " dart at them" but right now none of my fish hide (which I like) as the tank bosses are pretty chill (4 inch Blonde Naso, 4 inch Hippo Tang, 3 inch male Potters and Bipartitus wrasses).

3. Will this Male Lyretail take over a territory like a maroon clown would, defending a section from all fish regardless of species?

U

User1

View Badges
I've come to the conclusion after owning 4 Lyretail's that they are in large groups among the reefs for a reason and that cannot be replicated easily in home aquaria. I really like Lyretail's but my four became three, then two, then one. The dominate is just going to beat the snot out of the others and get all the food while the others slowly starve. Unless you are adding a bakers dozen I would pass on Lyretail's if not all anthias. Just my observation.

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've come to the conclusion after owning 4 Lyretail's that they are in large groups among the reefs for a reason and that cannot be replicated easily in home aquaria. I really like Lyretail's but my four became three, then two, then one. The dominate is just going to beat the snot out of the others and get all the food while the others slowly starve. Unless you are adding a bakers dozen I would pass on Lyretail's if not all anthias. Just my observation.
Well thanks for your experience.i can see why you don't like Lyretails as that is historically what ive read.

But not all Anthias are like that. Many have had long term success with dispars, resplendents, etc.

And I risk harmony adding one. It just looks so pretty.

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a very happy pair. They started out as a trio 3+ years ago and they did kill off the smallest female but since then the 2 have been great. They even spawn regularly. I think it all depends on the fish.

U

User1

View Badges
Well thanks for your experience.i can see why you don't like Lyretails as that is historically what ive read.

But not all Anthias are like that. Many have had long term success with dispars, resplendents, etc.

And I risk harmony adding one. It just looks so pretty.
yeah - I didn't mean to sound negative. I actually love the lyretail / goldie anthias. They add a splash of bright color mixed in with speed. They group up a bit from time to time then spread out and do their thing. Each living in their own cave. At least that is what they did in mine. Then in the day depending on the power head flow(s) they would act a lot like trout in a stream hiding behind a rock with the current flowing around them. They peak out looking for the food the current brings by then dart out, grab, and return. The Lyretails acted similar in my opinion.

It is just how mine worked out - maybe I didn't have enough. Maybe they are sick with I picked them up - could have been anything. But they are my favorites for sure :D

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are exceptions, but for the most part fish are guided by instinct.

If a peaceful dynamic exists, adding a large, assertive specimen can easily upset the balance.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back