Lyretail not really eating

Jahalu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a lyretail anthias for 4 months now. She was eating lrs reef frenzy just fine, but I noticed yesterday she looked a little skinny, so I watched closely. She swarms for food with the rest of my fish, but she isn't eating. She looks really hungry, though. It just like there's nothing in the reef frenzy she's interested in anymore. I tried frozen plankton, mysis and tried to add garlic. She's interested but not really eating. Does anyone know of any foods anthias go crazy for? Could she have just gotten 'bored' of the lrs reef frenzy'? She doesn't seem sick in any other way, and no one is bullying her that I notice. Other fish include: a Bartlett (who eats everything including flakes), tomini tang, neon goby, and clown. Thanks!

cohlton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My anthias go crazy for reef caviar and ocean plankton by fauna marine

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed that they go more for moving food. When it catches in the current so they can chase it down. Though, the reason behind her suddenly stopping eating is more concerning. Seen any white stringy poop come out of her?

OP
OP
Jahalu

Jahalu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses. I haven't seen her poop lately, I'll try to observe more. But she did go through a course of prazipro when she was in QT. Here's a pic of her. She chases food in the current but when she catches up to it, she kind of 'smells' it and turns to look for another. I'm not sure when this started. Usually I just drop the food in and as long as everyone is swarming through it, I assumed they were eating. I guess I should have been watching more closely.
IMG_0341.JPG

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see anything abnormal with her appearance. She looks pretty perfect in fact. Hmm. Detective work it is! What and when was the last wet thing added to the tank without QT? Hopefully we find nothing and she just starts eating for you!

OP
OP
Jahalu

Jahalu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does she look thin to you? Could it be that she is just eating pods and live things in my tank and is just not hungry for prepared stuff? The last thing I added/issue was a single blue chromis that made it through QT (4weeks) but then died after 1 week in DT. No sign of any illness. He was eating one day, gone the next. That was about 3 weeks ago.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does she look thin to you? Could it be that she is just eating pods and live things in my tank and is just not hungry for prepared stuff? The last thing I added/issue was a single blue chromis that made it through QT (4weeks) but then died after 1 week in DT. No sign of any illness. He was eating one day, gone the next. That was about 3 weeks ago.

Not from that angle. She looks normal to me. Could be intestinal worms, or some other internal issue. There are still many things we don't know and many diseases we know nothing about and still others that we can't know is the problem until an autopsy is done.

Were there any red marks on the chromis after it died?

OP
OP
Jahalu

Jahalu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to update this since the fish is close to dying. I tried many different foods, she did eat, just not much. The last few days she would dart from rocks, grab a few bites, then hide. She is still in DT. I cant catch her. Her tail is really ragged as of this morning and she is pale and hiding on her side, breathing rather heavily (just to recap-went through 6 weeks of QT, then 3 months in DT). Not sure what went wrong. I think she is beyond saving now, though. I'll FW dip her once she passes to check for parasites. All other fish seem ok. It seems despite QT and best methods, sometimes it just doesn't work out. I'm disappointed. I hate 'mystery deaths.'

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry sweetie. If you could get her out and treat her with antibiotics she might make it as long as she's still eating even a little.

OP
OP
Jahalu

Jahalu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, an update. Lyretail is gone.
Now a new problem, my Bartlett is starting the same thing- looks a little thin and just pecking at food, not eating like usual. I saw him poop and it was very white, but it didn't seem stringy. Could this still be parasites? His body seems fine and he is breathing normally. Is there a reef safe treatment for intestinal parasites? Any thoughts appreciated.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If one had intestinal parasites, they all could. It spreads when the fish eat the infected fish's poop. If the fish are eating then you can feed metroplex + Focus in the food. Feed it to all the fish for more than ten days until symptoms are gone.

OP
OP
Jahalu

Jahalu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I will run carbon while I do that. Will it be ok if some LPS catch medicated food? Not sure if I can prevent that.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I will run carbon while I do that. Will it be ok if some LPS catch medicated food? Not sure if I can prevent that.

I haven't had any problems with that in the past. I typically fed slowly though so the food was mostly eaten as it hit the water. A few pieces would get caught by a coral and nothing ever happened to the coral.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.6%
Back