Macro that doesn’t deplete oxygen

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As @Garf And @twentyleagues said, there's a kernel of truth in the nonsense advice. Photosynthetic organisms still do cellular respiration (normal metabolism stuff) so at night, they consume O2.
But so do corals. Nobody avoids corals because they "might consume all the O2".
Lots of people have macroalgae in sumps. Reverse lighting schedule is beneficial in several ways - having one space (sump or tank) always producing O2 is a nice benefit.
If some macroalgae got into the display, it would make an undetectable difference to nighttime O2. Really not a concern unless your display was one massive chaeto ball filling the whole tank.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, because he said the lfs guy said " everything will die"

Id run from that place...
The typical LFS employee is not a "reef keeper" or student of the science or hobby. They are relatively low wage store employees who learn from vendors, other staff and their customers (who are typically also poorly informed).

This is no different than the lumber guy at the box store knowing nothing about construction or the guy in the plumbing section knowing nothing about plumbing. It is retail store (specialized or not) with unspecialized staff.

Notice that the typical "better" LFS with "better" staff is also typically more expensive.

I would not "run from an LFS" just because their staff are not penultimate reef keeping gurus. Consider yourself in a class of actually very few people informed enough to be able to weigh their advice for what it is worth instead of blindly following it.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The typical LFS employee is not a "reef keeper" or student of the science or hobby. They are relatively low wage store employees who learn from vendors, other staff and their customers (who are typically also poorly informed).

This is no different than the lumber guy at the box store knowing nothing about construction or the guy in the plumbing section knowing nothing about plumbing. It is retail store (specialized or not) with unspecialized staff.

Notice that the typical "better" LFS with "better" staff is also typically more expensive.

I would not "run from an LFS" just because their staff are not penultimate reef keeping gurus. Consider yourself in a class of actually very few people informed enough to be able to weigh their advice for what it is worth instead of blindly following it.
You go ahead. I had 2 of these stores near me. Both are now just fresh water

but the owner told me
Yes, I would run and did and stopped buying from local owned reef stores with bad advice.

Have a nice day!

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You go ahead. I had 2 of these stores near me. Both are now just fresh water

Yes, I would run and did and stopped buying from local owned reef stores with bad advice.

Have a nice day!
Each of us assigns value differently. You are free to patronize (or shun) a business for any reasons that you wish.

You offered an opinion here publicly based on your value proposition and mine is different. As such, I offered my thoughts as well. Yours is not wrong, it is just different than mine.

FWIW - I value having an LFS vs not and focus on what they offer, not the advice that some employee gives. When I am in an LFS and hear bad advice I do what I can to respectfully help both the employee and the customer if it can be done without creating an awkward or uncomfortable situation.

You have a nice day as well!

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Battle corals arborday is here!!

Yes, this is intentional. Planting the battle tree.
08ca9a7452f611fdaf703fb032307fe4.jpeg

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 13 7.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 31 18.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 112 66.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back