Macroalgae Reactor and Pods

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could someone out there using a macroalgae reactor tell me if you get decent pod production? In other words, do pods grow and thrive in the reactor? Any thoughts on how this would compare to pod production in a refugium?

I am trying to decide on a DIY macroalgae reactor vs. a CPR Aquatics hang on back refugium for my JBJ Rimless 30. My key concern is nutrient export which would seem to favor the reactor. As a secondary concern, I would also like to have a safe haven for pods to populate. Any thoughts or opinions would be welcome. Thanks

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get pods in my reactors but nothing to write home about. It's not the set up I'd consider if a healthy pod population is something you are thinking about. A refugium would be a better environment, but volume has a lot to do with as well. A small hob refugium would be better than the reactor for pods, but not near the efficiency for nutrient export.

Rehype

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a cheato reactor that is primarily for nutrient export but It also produces a nice supply of pods. For example I have a yellow coris wrasse and a mckosker flasher wrasse which consume the largest share of the pods even though they are fed frozen foods. however my reactor is still pumping out enough pods to feed my pipefish that is totally dependent on them.

I will say you have to give the pods some time to reproduce and as was already pointed out a large dedicated refugium with a sandbed/macroalgae is ideal if your primary goal is pod production.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks folks! That is pretty much what I expected.

@chefjpaul not really room for both in the small tank and area around it, but I like the way you think. I agree on the benefits of using multiple methods of filtration.

I would honestly love to do a small, DIY algae turf scrubber, but I have come to believe that is just not going to work in this small aquarium and room space. I love the idea of a display refugium, but again same problem. Hanging a refugium on the back seems kind of like a waste to me because I would rather enjoy seeing it. Hanging on other sides will not work either for reasons I will not bore you with.

I think the chaeto reactor is the best plan as it will fulfill the primary objective of nutrient export with the side benefit of some pods.

Thanks again!

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish we had algae reactors when I had nano tanks.

Ill still be getting one for my tank regardless when needed.

Maybe turn a small chamber in the back into a small cryptic type zone for pods.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, exactly. I plan on having some rubble rock back there for that purpose as well. The JBJ Rimless 30 has two return pumps and I am considering putting a small acrylic box with an open top between them to have pods right near the point of return.

I thought about DIYing some type of macroalgae export with lighting in one of the compartments, but feel like the maintenance in the compartment could be a real pain. Especially if something like hair algae took over. That is why I am considering an HOB type of solution so it can easily be completely removed from the system for cleaning if needed.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And one more note, I was pretty much sold on an ATS until I discovered the concept of the macroalgae reactor. It seems like you get the all of the benefits of the ATS with a smaller footprint, easier maintenance and less of a struggle to grow algae in the beginning. At least that is what it seems to me for a small, 30 gallon system.

Last edited:

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 38 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 143 74.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.7%
Back