Mag 3 or 5?

saltwaternewb

Team Nikon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
26 gallon tank 24x18x14. Single overflow to a under tank sump with two returns. I want to run a SCWD and then using loc line I'll split the return in to 4 total. I will also be using two koralia nanos for water flow. I am not trying to get a ton of flow from the sump, jut some alternating current. Would a Mag 3 be enough or should I jump to a Mag 5? I am not planning on keeping any high flow demanding corals either.

freeze

colonist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
go with the mag5. if you are splitting to multiple returns you'll want the additional flow, imo.

tazzy695

New As They Come
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is the head hight you are going to be working with i would even consider a mag 9 if the hight is highenough but definately a mag 7 runing the squid that would give you about 500 gph through it mag 9 you would be looking at about 700

Eklikewhoa

Fish Thumper!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using the sump for? Fuge? Will there be additional powerheads to provide more flow?

My setup is somewhat similar and a mag3(actually eheim1250) was plenty but I have that returning for a fuge and have koralias in the tank for flow. Mine is split without the squid deal with a height of 4-5'.

OP
OP
saltwaternewb

saltwaternewb

Team Nikon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the sumo will be used for a fuge. It will have the normal macro, some LR, chemical media and heater. No skimmer for now but at some point there will be one. I will also be using 2, maybe 3 koralia nanos for additional flow in the tank. Head height should be 4 feet or less.

tazzy695

New As They Come
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would say with squid go with the mag 5 min as you loose a lot of preasure adding that in just due to how they work at that head a mag 7 would probly be best for the squids operation you would have about 500 gph with the mag 7 and about 300 with the mag 5

CharlieDavidson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The squid will take away @15% of your GPH..
In general terms, for a return pump, you want (at the most) 2-3 times total water volume.
Like Eklikewhoa, I say a mag3...
BTW, as a side note.. "I know" "they say not to use koralia pumps on a wave maker". But, I have been using 2 of them for @ 3 weeks on my ACjr to alternate the flow in tank..
I have had no problems... (and you don't need any of that extra plumbing, you would need with squid)

ofblong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what about using an ocean runner 2500 or 3500? They run cooler and less amps with same to better flow rates.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 29 15.1%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 44 22.9%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 111 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%

Back