Magnetic frag plugs

seaweed88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought some Neodymium Magnets which I was going to glue to some frag plugs so I could put some of these frags on the glass. I went to bed and woke up thinking about how the salt water was going to effect the magnets. So my question is what can I glue to the frag plugs which will still work with the magnets on the outside but will not rust in the tank?

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that as long as the magnets are covered, they should be fine. They use magnets on powerheads all the time, but they have a covering. Just my .02

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been considering the same issue as i want to do the same thing but worried they will harm the tank. I was thinking some sort of two part epoxy. Would love it if others chime in on what they have done?

dakotasreef

Prestige Worldwide
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They actally sell epoxy coated ones that you could use. I would worry if I tried to coat some myself that the saltwater could get to them.

Bulk reef supply carries some magnetic plugs that work great.

Sent from my DROIDX

OP
OP
seaweed88

seaweed88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So instead of using superglue to attach the magnets I use epoxy and make sure I cover the entire disk and it should be all good?

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll definitely want to epoxy coat the magnets. If you're planning on surrounding the inner magnet, with a frag disc material, such as a concrete/aragonite mix, I'd still epoxy coat the magnets first. You could easily create frag discs, with the magnets inside of them. Use a restaurant portion cup for a mold. Mix up your concrete, aragonite mix, pour a small amount into the portion cup, place the magnet in the center of the pour and then pour in enough of the mix, to cover the magnet. Keep in mind, if you go this route, the magnetic disc will need to be cured, in fresh water, before adding to your aquarium. A lot of people, who make their own frag plugs, put them in a mesh bag and hang them in the back of the toilet. This way, every time you flush, the curing plugs get a complete water change.

snoopie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have magnets in my water without any coating and have had it this way for a year no effects.... Phosphate remover has rust in it and is natural PO2 remove... I may be wrong on this part but I remember reading it a while back.... So do not quote me on it. But I have had magnets in it for long time no effects.

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would one coat the whole thing without leaving an opening? I mean you could cover the whole magnet.. but what about whatever is holding it up?

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

kingfisherfleshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have wanted to take a purple cap monti, and use a method like this to get it attached to the glass...anyone think this would work? Or that there might be a better method?

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typical Neo mags have a nickel coating on them. Nickel coatings typically have a small bit of copper in them. Make sure you coat them well. I had mine encased in a pop cap that was sealed with epoxy. It still leaked so if you do it, make sure they are really well sealed.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have wanted to take a purple cap monti, and use a method like this to get it attached to the glass...anyone think this would work? Or that there might be a better method?

They will work for a while, but once they start getting bigger, the magnet will not be able to hold them. Also, you have to glue something to the magnet to support the cap and then glue the cap to the support.

CJ

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
How would one coat the whole thing without leaving an opening? I mean you could cover the whole magnet.. but what about whatever is holding it up?

You will usually need a mold of some sort.
Mix up a small amount of your epoxy or casting resin or whatever, pour just enough of it in the mold to cover the bottom. Let it harden for a few hours or however long it takes to keep the magnet from going to the bottom of the mold. Mix up more material and cover the whole magnet.
After it's set up, it be difficult to remove the covered magnet with out destroying the mold. If the mold is a plastic material, try placing them in your freezer for a hour or so.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just painted the sides and top with epoxy and let it dry. Then, I turned it over and coated the other side.

CJ

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back