Magnifica forever home? Why a flat rock?

Tub Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost time to move everything over into my display and one of the last things to do is build the Mag a home.
It was previously perched super high atop a mountain structure. See pic below from my previous display.

mountain.jpg

It is currently at the waterline on the sidewall of a tub.

sidewall.jpg

The display it is moving into is almost the same.
I also will be putting it in the same vicinity. Left side of the peninsula.
I do NOT want to have it up so high though. If it wants more light, I'd rather achieve that by upping the power of the lights it will be under or adding more lights for it, rather than raising it higher in the display.

Why does it need a flat rock?
I have no issue with this, I can easily make a flat-topped surface for it.
I am genuinely curious as to why though. I have read many posts from various members about providing it a flat rock, but have never read an explanation for it.

What size flat rock?
Which leads to what size of surface is recommended?
Just enough for the foot to cover? Does it need an area larger than the foot?

I am thinking of a column-type structure, +-10" tall with a flat top. That should put the Mag above the centerline of the tank (24" height) for placement and aesthetic viewing.

Let me know your thoughts!

RichReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ones I have owned always went right to the top of the tank whether on the glass or rooted right to my SPS. I think they want every single little piece of light they can get. I have seen them at 600 plus par with their tentacles still at the surface of the water. If you want to keep one it's probably best right in the center of the tank as high as you can get it. I would also keep in mind when you have one of these it must be the center piece of the aquarium.

Your idea sounds great. Just make sure your base rock is a heavy one and I would keep the column as thin as possible.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some anemones are sand dwellers, others rock dwellers; just a matter of preference. Mags just happen to prefer flat surfaces to allow their foot to spread out. I often describe it as looking like a fried egg. Other anemones like to hide their foot in a rock structure.

In terms of size, just enough for the foot to cover is fine. I have one that has an oral disk that is about 12" on a good day, and the rock it's on is about 4-5" and it spreads it foot over the entire rock.

Your column structure sounds good. As long as it can't "feel" the walls of the tank--and lighting, flow, and water parameters are to its liking--it probably won't move at all.

OP
OP
Tub Life

Tub Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great insight guys! Makes more sense to me now.
I guess same idea of what I'm thinking about when making the Mag's pedestal, need a strong wide base to hold the nem up. The nem wants a strong wide base to hold itself up. This makes me think that the Mag can tolerate and is used to some strong current. If you look closely in my first pic, there is a Gyre right in front of the Mag.

OP
OP
Tub Life

Tub Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
home.jpg

Tower is about 9" tall.
Flat top for the nem.
Flatish rock for base with a few rocks legs to keep it off the bottom.
Threw a couple small coral rocks on top of the base to make it look a little more natural.
Clowns have spawned on the part of the flat perch that is not covered by the nems foot.
Eggs were promptly eaten too.

Been playing with flow recently.
Have some decent wave action going on now.

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She is beautiful! Nicely done on that column too!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 66 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 60 27.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 45 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 44 20.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back