Majano?

Formulator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just discovered this fairly well established bunch of something living in the bottom branches of a large anacropora colony. Is this the infamous majano anemone? I’ve never seen them before.

This particular anacro colony is also infested with aiptasia and I’m at my witts end with the thing. Very hard to get to the interior of the branches with aiptasia x. Is there a dip or other chemical means to treat this whole anacro colony that will kill anemones? Its not encrusted, so would be easy to pull out and drop into a bucket with said chemical.

Or any other suggestions for eradicating them? I do have Berghia Nudibranch on the way for the aiptasia.

IMG_3801.jpeg

IMG_3803.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
They look like some form of clove polyps to me.
Not majano but clove polyps which are hardy and can multiply quickly. This is a coral I like but it can be invasive.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I just discovered this fairly well established bunch of something living in the bottom branches of a large anacropora colony. Is this the infamous majano anemone? I’ve never seen them before.

This particular anacro colony is also infested with aiptasia and I’m at my witts end with the thing. Very hard to get to the interior of the branches with aiptasia x. Is there a dip or other chemical means to treat this whole anacro colony that will kill anemones? Its not encrusted, so would be easy to pull out and drop into a bucket with said chemical.

Or any other suggestions for eradicating them? I do have Berghia Nudibranch on the way for the aiptasia.

IMG_3801.jpeg

IMG_3803.jpeg
This one looks like aptasia and keep it simple for removal:
Using a syringe or pipette, inject either lemon juice or better yet. . kalkwasser powder mixed with tank water into a paste the consistency of toothpaste and inject into the very center core and it will melt away

OP
OP
Formulator

Formulator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had/have some blue clove polyps and these look “meatier” like anemone tentacles, rather than the more feather like appearance of clove polyps (at least the ones I’ve seen). Are you guys pretty certain?

OP
OP
Formulator

Formulator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one looks like aptasia and keep it simple for removal:
Using a syringe or pipette, inject either lemon juice or better yet. . kalkwasser powder mixed with tank water into a paste the consistency of toothpaste and inject into the very center core and it will melt away
I have a long and storied history with aiptaisia and I have aiptasia x, but that one you see is not the only one. There are several deep in the branches of the anacro colony that I can’t reach with a syringe.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have a long and storied history with aiptaisia and I have aiptasia x, but that one you see is not the only one. There are several deep in the branches of the anacro colony that I can’t reach with a syringe.
A syringe often reaches deep but it appears in pic to be more than one.

OP
OP
Formulator

Formulator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is almost certainly your Mojano/Aiptasia:
1715207437202.png
Yes that one is aiptasia for sure. I will be getting rid of him tonight with aiptasia x. But there are smaller ones deeper inside that are the problem. Also the other things that are not aiptasia. Other suggested they are clove polyps, but they look different to me. Might just hit them with the X also.

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that one is aiptasia for sure. I will be getting rid of him tonight with aiptasia x. But there are smaller ones deeper inside that are the problem. Also the other things that are not aiptasia. Other suggested they are clove polyps, but they look different to me. Might just hit them with the X also.
The other ones are clove's...keep or kill up to you....personally, I would put a LR rubble on top and see if they migrate to that rock and you can give away to fellow reefer...but thats just me

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back