Making quality RO/DI with softened/neutralized Well Water?

OP
OP
BigJohnny

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the latest plot twist, my tds is higher after the DI Resin than before........!

I got the booster pump and decided to replace my sediment filter/carbon block/di resin as well. Hooked everything up and the tds read 2 after the membrane, and 8 after the di cannister!

What could possibly be causing that except for a bad tds meter? I feel like bad di resin would simply not improve the tds, not make it worse! Help?!

OP
OP
BigJohnny

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the latest plot twist, my tds is higher after the DI Resin than before........!

I got the booster pump and decided to replace my sediment filter/carbon block/di resin as well. Hooked everything up and the tds read 2 after the membrane, and 8 after the di cannister!

What could possibly be causing that except for a bad tds meter? I feel like bad di resin would simply not improve the tds, not make it worse! Help?!
Nvm it works now, weird

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe for the first few gallons. When the resin is depleted it starts breaking down and you will see higher TDS out of it than into it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I was saying is that depleting (old) resin can have higher TDS out than in. But more importantly, it can have higher values for specific items we want to remove, such as ammonia or silicate which are weakly bound and easily come off the resin when depleted.

OP
OP
BigJohnny

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I was saying is that depleting (old) resin can have higher TDS out than in. But more importantly, it can have higher values for specific items we want to remove, such as ammonia or silicate which are weakly bound and easily come off the resin when depleted.

Makes sense. In my case it was fresh resin increasing tds though. Shortly after my tds meter died so I think it must have been that.

Thanks for your input !

Last edited:

airwaterice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes...the batteries....Fresh DI resin will ALWAYS get zero tds...even the low grade DI resin that we REJECT multiple times a year... In Air Water Ice 's refillable 10" Nuclear Grade Mixed Bed Di Cartridge the spec is 6,000 but it will hold at least 3,000 ppm tds. The equation for how long your di will last...EXAMPLE:
1.) you have 300 ppm tds at your house...
2.)your RO tds is 15 ppm tds (95% rejection) ...
3.) take 3,000/15 and you will get 200 zero tds gallons before exhausting. Get your RO rejection down to 5 ppm and you will get 600 [3,000/5] zero tds gallons before exhausting (showing 1 ppm after making one gallon of RODI water).

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 20 55.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.8%
Back