Mandarin and BTA

Zyara

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wanting to get a BTA for my 2 clown fish but I have a beautiful mandarin and don't want it to get hurt or injured. I have read mixed things about anemones (usually carpet) and mandarins together and just wanted to know if anyone has had issues with bta with them?
I have a 30 gallon tank and those are the only 3 fish I have in it. I also have 2 shrimp, a few snails, 6 hermit crabs, 2 bristle stars (brown), some coral.
Thanks for any advice. I won't get one if it's not a good combo.

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wanting to get a BTA for my 2 clown fish but I have a beautiful mandarin and don't want it to get hurt or injured. I have read mixed things about anemones (usually carpet) and mandarins together and just wanted to know if anyone has had issues with bta with them?
I have a 30 gallon tank and those are the only 3 fish I have in it. I also have 2 shrimp, a few snails, 6 hermit crabs, 2 bristle stars (brown), some coral.
Thanks for any advice. I won't get one if it's not a good combo.
I have a 30 gallon too with a HUGE RBTA and two clownfish that host it. I added a ruby mandarin dragonet and it did absolutely fine. It actually liked to hide in the shadow of the nem.

OP
OP
Zyara

Zyara

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never heard of an issue with a bta and a mandarin. Btas are generall fish safe, however a mandarin in a 30g can very easily starve.
Thank you for the advice. I would love if my clowns could have a mandarin safe anemome to host. And yes, I know there can be food issues in a smaller tank. I spend the extra $$ and time and make sure he has food at least 3x a day.
I should have said that in the original post though. I will clarify now for others reading too though.
He is captive bred. He loves his copepods but also eats frozen brine shrimp as well. It does cost extra money and take extra time to make sure he gets enough food. And he doesn't have many others to compete against for food either. Just the 2 clowns and 2 peppermint shrimp.

OP
OP
Zyara

Zyara

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 30 gallon too with a HUGE RBTA and two clownfish that host it. I added a ruby mandarin dragonet and it did absolutely fine. It actually liked to hide in the shadow of the nem.
That's amazing!! Thank you for sharing. I really love my fish and want the best for all of them. Do you think there would be any complications adding a bta after the mandarin is already established first?

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 8 BTA in a tank with a mandarin, they are perfectly fine together. The mandarin is often over pecking around the rock looking for pods and the BTA does not bother him.

OP
OP
Zyara

Zyara

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 8 BTA in a tank with a mandarin, they are perfectly fine together. The mandarin is often over pecking around the rock looking for pods and the BTA does not bother him.
Thanks wonderful to hear!! Im starting to think the horror stories I read where because the poor mandarin was unhealthy or they had something other then a bta.

fluked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks wonderful to hear!! Im starting to think the horror stories I read where because the poor mandarin was unhealthy or they had something other then a bta.
I think a lot of stories the mandarin was probably already starving and weak.

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's amazing!! Thank you for sharing. I really love my fish and want the best for all of them. Do you think there would be any complications adding a bta after the mandarin is already established first?
Nope. I haven’t actually seen a BTA eat another fish before, only rock flowers anemones.

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never heard of an issue with a bta and a mandarin. Btas are generall fish safe, however a mandarin in a 30g WILL very easily starve RATHER QUICKLY!

Fixed that for ya.

BTA is good with fish. They can eat small shrimp if so inclined but rarely do.

The problem you will have is that you can't keep a mandarin in a 30 gallon tank.
It absolutely, positively, without doubt or exception WILL starve to death..
There is no way it can survive in a tank that small.
You can't feed it enough no matter what you do and it WILL STARVE to death.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but even if your mandarin is eating frozen foods, you can't feed it enough without polluting your water.

Good luck to you.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 87 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.2%
Back