Manganese and vanadium

Van Eternal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers,
I recently got my icp results which are near perefect, except these two elements. The managanese and vanadium are undetectable, therefore my question is whether i should increase them by using supplements? I do 10 % weekly water changes but it seems its not enough and the demand for these elements is higher.
Therefore, would a better option be to use something like the AF micro e, which contains both of the elements plus other micros or dose them individually to get them to desired levels?

also to mention, the corals are thriving.
Gonioporas are growing pretty fast, which I thought they would be affected by low managanese but it doesn’t bother them
SPS are thriving

the only corals that are not pumping during day are the trachaphyllias have 3 of them and they all seem to be closed for the past month

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be useful to dose them, but it is hard to know because the detection limits are often not far from natural levels, and we do not know how much is actually needed. Dosing is an easy experiment to try.

Here's what I wrote several years ago based on a Triton test of my tank for these two elements, but I didn't get around to dosing them before I took the tank down.:

Manganese (Mn). Triton can just barely detect the natural level of manganese (0.17 µg/L) since their LOD is 0.12 µg/L. Detecting none suggests it may be depleted, and is another possibility for dosing, but I have less confidence that this one is really seriously depleted since it is so close to the LOD. But Mn is biologically important and I will consider it.

Vanadium (V). Triton can just barely detect the natural level of vanadium (1.8 µg/L) since their LOD is 0.9 µg/L. Still, detecting none suggests it may be depleted, and is another possibility for dosing.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 20 31.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 24 38.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 6.3%

Back