mangrove shoots

jiffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i bought a new mangrove recently and was wondering if they can stay alive and grow under water? cause i would imagine it needs some kind of oxygen but i wasnt sure.... :eek:oh:

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They won't survive completely submerged, you would have to keep the leaves out of the water. And be careful where you keep them the roots will go into everything including the silicone.

MimicOcto8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey Gar got any pictures...assuming you have some mangroves. or jiffy post some of yours

OhYeah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They in fact can grow underwater. Pics of them in my fuge.

a6890b97-7c9a-092b.jpg

a6890b97-7ce4-8394.jpg

Pic 6 months ago when I first put them in.
a6890b97-7d53-414c.jpg

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mangroves can and will live and grow completely under water. You will see little air bubbles on their leaves if there is very very little flow. It is the oxygen coming out of the leaves. If they have just a little flow you will not see it. But YES they will grow completely under water.

OP
OP
jiffy

jiffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do the roots have to be in the sand or can they just be set in water?

OhYeah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put them in the sand so that they stay upright. If not anchored down, they will float sideways on the water. Not sure how well grow that way.

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine wedged in rubble. Well not the roots are wrapped through the rubble. Also have them in a 1 gallon betta tank that I drilled holes in and cut down lower then the water level so that I don't have to worry about roots getting to pumps or anything else.

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will try to grow out of the water like they do in nature and eventually they will. You can try trimming it before it gets to the top but I don't think you can keep them long term under water since they secrete the salt they take in from the water through their leaves. If you look at a mature mangrove they have no leaves under the water line. I also read of a mangrove that was allowed to grow unchecked and eventually the roots burrowed into the silicone in the tank. Although mangroves grow pretty slow so it shouldn't be a problem for a while. I've also read that you can trim the leaves to keep it from growing too big above the tank. There is actually a lot of info on them if you google them.

I've had them before the wife got her cats (they like to chew on leaves so no more mangroves) but I never put them into the tank. I didn't want a tree sticking out of the top. I've been to a mangrove forest in a lagoon in PR. Snorkeling was awesome with all the fish swimming through the roots.

OhYeah, please keep us updated on how they do. Are you planning on letting them grow out of the water?

OhYeah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will try to grow out of the water like they do in nature and eventually they will. You can try trimming it before it gets to the top but I don't think you can keep them long term under water since they secrete the salt they take in from the water through their leaves. If you look at a mature mangrove they have no leaves under the water line. I also read of a mangrove that was allowed to grow unchecked and eventually the roots burrowed into the silicone in the tank. Although mangroves grow pretty slow so it shouldn't be a problem for a while. I've also read that you can trim the leaves to keep it from growing too big above the tank. There is actually a lot of info on them if you google them.

I've had them before the wife got her cats (they like to chew on leaves so no more mangroves) but I never put them into the tank. I didn't want a tree sticking out of the top. I've been to a mangrove forest in a lagoon in PR. Snorkeling was awesome with all the fish swimming through the roots.

OhYeah, please keep us updated on how they do. Are you planning on letting them grow out of the water?

The pics above are actually a month or so ago. I decided to take some pics this morning since you are interested in the status. There is one that is growing out of the water and looks like I should trim it back. Also there is a few that is about to breach the surface. I do plan to trim them when they get too high.

I treat this sump like my second tank. The light comes on opposite times that of my DT. So there is something to look at when the DT is off. I currently have a fighting conch, urchin, bunch of snails, hermit crabs and a mandarin goby in there also thousands of copapods and aphipods for it to feed on. I've been looking for a male mandarin so that they can possibly mate. :)

4480ee9b.jpg

032869f6.jpg

e400559b.jpg

Last edited:

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 74 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 60 34.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 10 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back