Mantis Identification

Godsbane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I'm from Singapore and a long time marine aquarist (20+ years).
Due to work commitments I have decommissioned my large tank and bought a 20 gallon for a Mantis Shrimp (never had one).

Need some help identifying - pics attached. The Pink one is from Sri Lanka, the other two are from Indonesia/Philippines.

Darker.jpeg Pink.jpeg PotentialPeacock.jpeg

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ones with the two big blue spots seem to be a spearer R. komaii, really rare finds nice! I had one that was super active. https://ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthropod...lacostraca/royslist/species.php?name=r_komaii

The pink I'm not so sure. Would need another photo but best guess off that is N. wennerae, I've seen pink color morphs of them but hard to say if its N. wennerae for sure without seeing the raptorial appendages.

OP
OP
Godsbane

Godsbane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry did you mean the one on the left ? See new pic below.
I am fairly sure the darker one is G.Ternatensis.

Question : For O.Scyllarus - at what size do the leopard prints show ? Would they be visible on a say 2 inch juvenile ?

WhatsApp Image 2023-05-10 at 15.45.13.jpeg

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes o. scyllarus would have that pattern from very young. The number and size of spots may be different but its always there.

Here's my 2.5inch individual:
1683712114762.png

and my full grown male:
1683712133805.png

Those two are still R. komaii, G. ternatensis is obvious to spot as it doesn't have spots on the carapace at all and specifically only has a dark green body with its 'feathery bits' and legs being either yellow on females or blue on males, the red lines are present in quite a few species. R. komaii is a spearer and pretty much the same as P. ciliata in a lot of ways behavior wise, while G. tern is a smasher so it'll be easy to confirm when feeding. There's a chance they could also be R. Hieroglyphica since they look so similar but IMO the patterns and tail are more towards komaii.

R. komaii:
1683711762930.png

Female G. tern:
1683711786056.png

Male G. tern:
1683711804963.png

The other one I can't tell is this one;
1683711890176.png

Heavily leaning on N. wennerae but their color morphs make it tricky to know for sure, they do go pink in coraline encrusted rock and change each molt.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Godsbane

Godsbane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went back to the fish shop and took videos of the two (pink one sold).
The brighter one is truly a beautiful animal but too bad not what I'm looking for.
WhatsApp Image 2023-05-11 at 20.55.28.jpeg

Hadla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg I thought the bottom pic was dead :face-with-tears-of-joy: I was like how dafuq was he decapitated by himself?! Then realized it’s the light or something lol wish I could get him!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 96 44.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 73 33.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 35 16.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back