ThRoewer

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. Will take a look.

What do you think of the Captive Bred ones from Bali Aquarich having so many misbarred/ aberrant specimens?
My feeling is that Wen-Ping Su picked the pair with that in mind. So it is likely to some degree intentional, an attempt to create "designer" regal angels.

OP
OP
ThRoewer

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m honestly not a fan of that, much prefer clean, straight bars.
I prefer the straight bars as well. Male and female of my pair have some irregular bars, the male has just a minor irregularity while the female has a bit more on one side. I ordered both blind and didn't pick them out myself.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, good luck with the breeding project. How long have you had your pair and how big are they now?

I’ve seen many straight bars / nearly straight bars among the captive bred ones too but I hope Wen-Ping Su doesn’t try to really go for the “designer” stuff, including a red Regal.

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept pairs in 120 liter (30 gallon) tanks without issues. They really don't need that much volume, just enough caves (= rock heavy aquascape).
How long do they take to grow, I would like to keep a baby one in my 30 gallon until i upgrade in a year or so?

OP
OP
ThRoewer

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do they take to grow, I would like to keep a baby one in my 30 gallon until i upgrade in a year or so?
C. altivelis grows pretty slowly and takes a couple of years (3 to 5) to reach its full size.
C. argus is even slower in growth.

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're very different. The argus has a brownish color (instead of black) with much more fine and well aligned dots and the fins seem really fragile.

Bpfor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will be fine. i got a couple in October, 2021. About an inch long. They are about 3" now and still hanging out in a 20 high refugium attached to my DT.

Bpfor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. Are they taking all foods dry and frozen?
i’m not a big dry food guy. They mainly eat frozen mysis soaked in selcon. some krill and grass shrimp from time to time.

i do have a mandarin from Biota that only eats pellets.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back