Marine Epoxy Tips or tricks?

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have minor experience with marine epoxy but after trying to use Aquamend I wanted to know if any of you guys have tips or tricks for better application.

Thanks,

mevstheworld

Salt Creep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same question. I found through multiple searches about making a sandwich. Frag plug/rock, superglue gel, epoxy, superglue gel, frag/rock. You have to give the gel a minute to tack up or it will turn to a snot like substance upon entry to the tank water. Hope this helps.

jerryc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iv had the same experience when epoxying frags to rock. The epoxy
sticks to the rock but the plug will come of i can re-glue the plug back to the
epoxy and it will never come lose.
I had the same question. I found through multiple searches about making a sandwich. Frag plug/rock, superglue gel, epoxy, superglue gel, frag/rock. You have to give the gel a minute to tack up or it will turn to a snot like substance upon entry to the tank water. Hope this helps.

EliteReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iv had the same experience when epoxying frags to rock. The epoxy
sticks to the rock but the plug will come of i can re-glue the plug back to the
epoxy and it will never come lose.

aqua mend is not the best of choices if your attaching a flat frag plug. like you said it will stick to the rock great but not the plug. for those you have to get the aquamend up over the side for best results.

Last edited:

d34532

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
another thing with frag plug sticking is you might want to "rough up" to create more texture for the epoxy to grab on to the plug.

jerryc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point ill start trying that.
aqua mend is nto the best of choices if your attaching a flat frag plug. liek you said it will stick to the rock great but not the plug. for those you have to get the aquamend up over the side for be results.

green machine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question, Im looking for some epoxy. can i only use the stuff that comes from the lfs? or is there an alternative at home depot or somewhere like that, that is safe to use?

thanks

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Aquamend you can get from lowes or home depot I believe. I got some from there before.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If I remember correctly it was about 5-6 bucks maybe??

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
2aquamend.jpg

DJreefer

SPS freak
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you ask me the regular plumbers putty [like loctite] works better than the aquamend, It's not as soft and sets up more quickly. REMEMBER to take of your skimmer collection cup before using it, it'll make your skimmer go nutz for awhile.

badfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
try the loc tite brand it's the same thing and it cures in 5 min.aquamend takes forever to cure.another thing i never mount frag plugs i pop off the frag before it goes into the display.then i mount the frag to a small piece of rubble you can epoxy that easily.a trick i like to use is make a small spike out of epoxy kinda like a golf tee. then glue it to the bottom of your frag on the rubble and just stick it in a hole in your live rock.then you have a pegged coral.

EliteReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and with either of these brands you can use it while under water correct?

thanks

yes but if you can pull out the peices you will get the best results. with that said however yes it is made to be used while wet

Back